47. The purest nightmare

CASSIDY
Peace. It's not something that someone from the BAU feels very often. Between the cases that we work, and all the crimes and deaths that we see, it's rare that we ever get any peace, yet, here I laid, in my bed, staring up at the ceiling. I was cool. I was calm. I was collected. Overall, I was in peace. Although, that peace quickly disappeared when my hands grazed the bed to find the other side of it empty. I sat up, confused. Maybe Spencer was in the kitchen, making breakfast. That's when I realised something. I wasn't in the apartment that Spencer and I shared. I was in my old apartment.

Getting dressed, I hastily exited the apartment and headed to work. I stepped into the BAU office, a smile appearing on my face as I saw Spencer working at his desk. As I walked, I stopped at JJ's desk, seeing a large engagement ring on her finger.

"Wow. Did Will propose?" I smiled, JJ looking up at me in confusion.

"Will? Who's Will?" JJ laughed confused.

"Ha ha, JJ. Very funny. You know, Will, your boyfriend?" I tried to remind her, but she shook her head.

"Are you okay, Cassidy? Did you hit your head?" JJ asked, looking worriedly at me.

"W- What? No?" I shook my head.

"Okay. Maybe you should sit down. You're looking a little pale." JJ smiled at me. I watched as JJ stood up and walked over to Hotch's office, stopping at Spencer's desk on her way. She placed a file on his desk. Spencer turned in his chair to face JJ.

"Thanks, babe." Spencer smiled as JJ placed a kiss on his lips, Spencer happily returning the kiss. My heart dropped watching them kiss.

My fingers went to my finger, attempting to turn my engagement ring as a sign of anxiety and anger, but I was confused when I didn't feel anything. My finger was bare.

I was starting to panic. Something was wrong. How is it possible that I fell asleep engaged and in love with Spencer, but wake up to JJ and Spencer being engaged and in love?

I ran out of the office and to the nearest bathroom. This all had to be a very shitty dream, or worse, a pure nightmare.

I vomited into one of the toilet bowls, wiping my mouth before flushing. This whole situation was making me sick. I splashed my face with some tap water, rubbing my face and trying desperately to wake myself up from the nightmare I had found myself in.

———

I spent the next few hours trying to act normal. Even though I was in some sort of nightmare, I needed to remain as calm as possible. Maybe there was a reason for me being in this horrible nightmare.

"Hey, JJ? Did you tell Cassidy your wedding date?" Emily looked at JJ, who shook her head.

"No! I almost forgot to tell you! Spencer and I have chosen March 15th as our wedding date." JJ revealed. I almost broke down into tears at the date that JJ and Spencer had chosen.

"Oh, wow. Why did you chose that date?" I asked, trying to hide the sadness in my voice.

"The team went out for drinks on my first day and Spencer and I danced for about 10 minutes. We just wanted to honour the day that Spencer and I became friends." JJ smiled, blushing.

"Every time she explains that, it still makes me cry in cuteness." Penelope exhaled, smiling.

"Look how cute this wedding folder is! Penelope created it for JJ and it's so cute!" Emily held up the wedding folder that looked almost exactly like mine. The only difference was the names. Instead of the names being Cassidy and Spencer, it was now JJ and Spencer in my nightmare.

SPENCER
No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't seem to look away from Cassidy's wounds. I could look at her beautiful face, or look at the ring on her finger, but instead, I chose to look at the wounds that caused her to lay on the hospital bed.

Hours after Cassidy was admitted to the hospital, she was in surgery and my heart raced with happiness when the doctor said that she was out of surgery and on the road to recovery. I wasn't surprised when I walked into Cassidy's hospital room and saw that she was asleep. The doctor had informed me that while she had survived the surgery and was on the road to recovery, she hadn't yet woken up and probably wouldn't wake up for a while.