37. Targeting the Hotchners

7 cases in 6 months. That's how many cases had been solved since George Foyet had escaped prison. As much as the team only wanted to focus on Foyet, they couldn't. In fact, Strauss only allowed Cassidy back onto the field if the BAU agreed not to focus entirely on Foyet. So, after solving a case about two brothers - one dominant brother, paralysed and one submissive brother, developmentally disabled - the team returned home, none of them predicting what would happen next.

Hotch entered his apartment, setting his keys and bag down after turning off the alarm. He was calm. He was relaxed. All he wanted to do was get changed and lay on his bed.

As he poured himself a drink, he felt like he wasn't alone. As he removed the glass from his lips, he turned around, seeing Foyet dressed in all black, with a mask covering his face.

"You should have made a deal." He growled before pulling the trigger of his gun. Hotch didn't flinch. He had heard a gun going off so many times that unless it was aimed right at him, he wasn't scared, so he didn't flinch.

"Is this part of my profile. You can't show me fear?" Foyet asked, tilting his head.

"If you don't see fear, maybe it's because I'm not afraid of you." Hotch kept himself calm.

"You said that like you actually meant it. How's my friend Agent Morgan?" Foyet chuckled.

"Are you here to kill me, or are you here to play games?" Hotch asked, confused.

"You tell me. Enlighten me about my behaviour." Foyet removed his mask, revealing a wicked smirk. Hotch acted quickly, using the glass in his hand to briefly knock Foyet off balance.

A fight ensued. Foyet punched Hotch, causing him to fall to the floor. Hotch tried to reach for his weapon, but Foyet kicked Hotch in the stomach, resulting in Hotch rolling around on the floor, trying to breathe.

"So tell me, would I use this?" Foyet revealed a knife, which he happily stabbed into Hotch's chest.

———

CASSIDY
Another case had emerged. JJ had taken the lead when Hotch didn't show up. After calling Hotch multiple times and leaving multiple messages, I decided that it would only be right to go and check up on him.

"Hotch? It's me...Cassidy." I knocked on Hotch's apartment door, having given Spencer a call on my way over. When I couldn't hear footsteps, I pulled out my phone and dialled Hotch's number, confused and concerned when I could hear his phone ringing from inside the apartment.

My concern for Hotch only grew when I opened the door, realising that it was unlocked. I went inside, my heart dropping at the sight of a huge blood stain on the white carpet near the table.

Grabbing my phone, I dialled Garcia's number.

"Overtime shift. Penelope speaking." I exhaled with relief, hearing my favourite tech analysis speak.

"Garcia, it's Cassidy. I need you to listen really carefully. Something's happened to Hotch." I put my phone to my ear, trying to calm down.

"What do you mean, something?" I could hear the panic in Garcia's voice.

"I don't know. I'm at his place. He's not here, but there's blood." I looked around the room.