84. For their family

Cassidy attended the appointment that Emily had arranged for her. Spencer held her hand as they sat in the examination room, Dr. Samson putting some gel on Cassidy's larger baby bump.

"Well. Everything seems to progressing along as it should. But, I heard from Emily Prentiss." Dr. Samson looked between Cassidy and Spencer.

"Our boss." Spencer exhaled.

"Yes. She informed me that you went through something very traumatic recently and that has me concerned. While your son is fine and healthy, I am worried that your stress levels are extremely high, which is why I suggest you spend your time doing something that won't cause the amount of stress you've been experiencing lately." Dr. Samson suggested.

"I- Is that all?" Cassidy asked.

"Apart from the stress, that is all. Here's your pictures." Dr. Samson handed Cassidy and Spencer the sonogram pictures, allowing them to leave.

The drive home was silent. Cassidy stared out the window, while Spencer kept his eyes on the road. They were clearly thinking the same thing, as they both went to speak. Spencer nodded, allowing Cassidy to start.

"We've both been at the BAU for a long time, you longer than me." She started, not knowing how to breach the subject.

"Let's just get home and talk while we unpack the boxes." Spencer smiled, giving her a smile before the silence returned.

———
(At The House)

As requested, Cassidy waited until they had gotten back to the house before they continued their conversation.

"You were right, Cassidy. In the car. We've both been at the BAU for a long time, me more than you." Spencer nodded.

"I don't know if working at the BAU is the right thing to do anymore." Cassidy spoke. She needed to express her feelings.

"I mean, as much as I love working with the team, our job has caused both of us too much pain. Hotch resigned because he and Jack were in danger. Your mother was kidnapped by a woman who wanted revenge for you sending her to prison. We've both been kidnapped and you were framed for murder which put you in prison." She listed a few things that had happened since she started at the BAU.

"I don't disagree with you, Cassidy. It would be a shock to any normal person finding out that neither of us left sooner." Spencer chuckled, placing a few clothing items into the master bedroom's closet.

"This is where it get's complicated. We both love working at the BAU. It's like we were meant to work there." Cassidy exhaled.

"But we need to start thinking about our family." Spencer knew where she was going with her thought.

"So...you agree?" Cassidy asked.

"I agree that if we don't choose now, we're doomed for more pain." Spencer nodded.

"Look at me, Cassie. We both know how it feels to grow up without a parent. I grew up with out a father and you without a mother. Imagine our son growing up without either of us, whether it's because we're never around or we're dead. I think it would be stupid if we didn't at least try to live normal lives. Instead of risking our lives every day, we could do something normal, like teaching." Spencer suggested.

"That sounds like a lovely idea, and I do believe that you'd make a good professor, but me? No. I don't think I'd be a good teacher. I'm definitely not as smart as you." Cassidy chuckled.

Something in her brain clicked. It was like an answer to their problems had fallen directly into her lap.

"I have an idea." She spoke, intriguing Spencer.

"What if...for the first 12-24 months, we stay here, at home, but we still work with the team. We'd still work on cases, but more as consults, rather than Field Agents." Cassidy suggested.

"So, like what Garcia does?" Spencer asked.

"Exactly. Then, as our son grows older, we can start working more in the field, but only in small doses. One week we'd be flying with the team, Garcia being our babysitter- maybe. But, the next week, we'd be consulting with the team from home, or maybe even from the BAU office. That way, we'd still be around for our son, but we'd also get to do the job that we both love." Cassidy finished her thought, Spencer's eyes lighting up with joy.

"That sounds like a brilliant idea, my love. But, will Emily, or worse- will Strauss be okay with it?" Spencer asked, concerned.

"Well, there's only one way to find out." Cassidy smiled, watching as he pulled out his phone and dialled Emily's number.