70. Baby genius

CASSIDY
Another case was finally over. During our last case, I had eaten so many saltine crackers that I was sure that someone had noticed. Whether or not they suspected my secret, that would remain to be seen.

I truly didn't know whether being a mother would allow me to continue my job at the BAU. It didn't make the choice any easier considering my husband also worked within the BAU.

On one hand, I loved my job, and I knew that Spencer also loved his job. There were times where both of us would be incredibly sad if we weren't allowed to go to work. But on the other hand, both of us had seen the impact that a child would have on a person. We both watched as Hotch juggled being the BAU Unit Chief, as well as a father and husband. Although, my belief was that maybe it'd be a little easier, since Spencer and I worked within the BAU.

What worried me the most about being apart of the BAU team and a parent at the same time was the possibility that either me or Spencer would get hurt, or worse, one of us would die. We had both seen how Hotch's job put the lives of both his wife and son at risk, and it even ended in Haley's life ending too soon.

But, I figured that we had just under 9 months to figure out what our future was going to look like.

Most of the team had gone home. I was one of the few who didn't. Emily was up in her office, while I remained at my desk, finishing up some last minute paperwork.

Feeling a wave of nausea, I quickly glanced around, hoping that no one would see me pulling a packet of saltine crackers out of my top drawer.

Leaning back in my chair, I took a bite and exhaled, feeling the nausea slowly fade away.

"Okay. You've been eating those for days now. Ever since we got back from our honeymoon, you've been secretly eating those saltine crackers. What's going on?" Spencer spoke, almost scaring me. I jumped forward and quickly put the half eaten cracker on the desk.

I wanted to see if Spencer was really a genius. He claimed to know everything about anything, so maybe, he could prove his smartness and figure out what I was hiding.

I let the question sit for a few moments, watching as his gaze went from my stomach to the half empty packet of saltine crackers.

"Am I getting a son?" Spencer's face dropped. He watched my face for a moment, his heart racing with joy when a small smile appeared on my face.

"Possibly. Maybe a daughter." I shrugged my shoulders.

A huge smile suddenly appeared on Spencer's face as he looked at me.

"Oh my god. I'm going to be a father." Spencer cheered, pulling me from my seat. He wrapped his arms gently around my torso and placed a sweet kiss on my lips.

"Wait, how long have you known?" Spencer asked.

"2 weeks and 4 days. I started suspecting when we got back from our honeymoon." I smiled.

"Oh shit. We gotta tell the team. We gotta tell Emily." Spencer realised.

"Calm down genius. We can tell Emily and the team tomorrow. For tonight, let's just enjoy the beginning of our family." I chuckled, seeing the excitement on Spencer's face.

———
(The Next Morning)

SPENCER
I was the first one to wake up, although it didn't help that I barely slept last night. From the moment Cassidy told me that she was pregnant, my brain couldn't sleep. No matter how hard I tried, all I could think about was the possibility that my future child would inherit my mother's Alzheimers disease and Schizophrenia.

Over the night, I tried to get that thought out of my head. Instead, I focused on my beautiful wife as she slept peacefully. I looked down at her stomach. She was very early on in her pregnancy and she wouldn't start showing for at least another 1-2 months, but I didn't care. All I cared about was imagining a tiny baby growing inside of her, a baby that we created.

I also wondered how the team would react. Obviously they'd be happy, but I knew there would be a lot of discussions between me, Cassidy, Emily and Strauss.

When we had gotten home from the office, we had a brief conversation about work. I could tell that she had been thinking about our future within the BAU. While we both knew that working at the BAU and being parents could work if we tried, there was also the risk of getting hurt. Our job involved a lot of death, and I could tell that Cassidy was worried.

At 8 AM, we hadn't been called into work for a case. It was rare, but I was determined to have a normal morning. A morning where I could just let my beautiful pregnant wife sleep in.

By 10 AM, Cassidy was up and out of bed, brushing her teeth while she dried her hair, her outfit making her look beautiful. We drove into work, arriving at the 6th floor of the FBI building.

We walked into the BAU bullpen, seeing the confused looks on their faces.

"Well, well. You two are late." Derek noted.

"And you're never late?" I laughed.

"Calm down, pretty boy. I was just kidding. So, what activities did you and your lovely wife get up to this morning that caused the lateness?" Derek asked, Cassidy rolling her eyes.

"There is no way in hell that we're telling you anything." Cassidy groaned.

"Damn. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning." JJ smiled.

"Actually, for your information, I woke up on the right side of the bed this morning, AND I got to sleep in, because I'm assuming it's a paperwork day since we're not flying anywhere for a case." Cassidy smiled.

"Right you are, Cassidy. Today is a paperwork day, but that doesn't excuse you and boy genius being late." Emily chuckled.

"Actually, Cassidy and I will probably needing as much sleep as we can get...for the next 9 months." I muttered the last part of my sentence.

"Whoa, you just muttered something. What?" Tara asked, intrigued.

"It's still really early, but Cassidy and I found out that there will be a new addition to the BAU family." I smiled, wondering if any of the team could figure out what I was referring to.

"Huh?" Rossi asked, confused.

"You, Mrs. Reid, have some explaining to do!" Penelope entered the office, confusing everyone.

"What are you talking about, Garcia?" Emily looked at Penelope exhaled.

"Okay, so I'm hoping that I wasn't the only one who noticed that Cassidy has been eating a lot of saltine crackers over the past week or so?" Penelope looked at everyone, most of whom shrugged their shoulders.

"Anyway, I did some unneeded digging and discovered that just prior to Cassidy buying huge amounts of saltine crackers, she bought 3 of a certain test." Penelope explained.

"So, as I said before, Mrs. Reid, you have some explaining to do." Penelope looked at Cassidy, who smiled.

"I'm pregnant." Cassidy didn't bother with a big reveal.

"Oh my god! Congratulations!" Everyone cheered, giving both me and Cassidy hugs.

"You're gonna have a baby genius!" Penelope smiled.

"Yes. I guess we will." I laughed.