36. The Reaper's identity

That night, Hotch, Rossi and Spencer stood in the precinct, looking at the crime scene photos from the night before.

"He never used code before. Why now?" Hotch asked, confused.

"They're not part of a pattern or equation. Mathematically, they're insignificant." Spencer shrugged his shoulders.

"Maybe so, but I know I've seen them before. Foyet said he likes to attack people in their cars. Tonight he hit a bus." Hotch spoke as he walked toward the map.

"Which is why Foyet only takes a bus." Rossi nodded.

"It was the number 7. And it stops right in front of Foyet's apartment." Hotch pointed to a specific place on the map.

"He knows where Foyet lives." Rossi exhaled.

"And he wants us to know it." Hotch continued.

"1439. The apartment you interviewed him in today was 1439 Yarbrough." Spencer looked up at Hotch and Rossi.

"The other addresses he gave us. 201 South Brookline. 1488 Edenhurst." Rossi pulled out the note pad that Foyet had given him.

"The numbers on the bus are Foyet's addresses." Rossi revealed, pointing to the numbers in the photos.

"We'll split up and cover each address." Hotch instructed as he, Spencer and Rossi got ready to go and look for Foyet.

———

Rossi and Emily arrived at 1439 Yarbrough. Spencer and Hotch arrived at 201 South Brookline. Derek and Sergeant O'Mara arriving at 1488 Edenhurst.

"I'll take the back." Sergeant O'Mara spoke as Derek nodded, heading toward the front.

"There's no one here." Emily spoke to Rossi.

"We got nothing." Spencer shook his head, speaking to Emily, Rossi and Sergeant O'Mara.

"Same thing here. Have you heard from Morgan?" Rossi spoke into his comms, confused.

Derek rested on the ground outside the house. The Reaper had tackled him through the window, grabbing Derek's credentials from his unconscious body. He opened up the badge, saw the name and glared at Derek's body, holding a gun to his head.

"Wake up, Derek. It's time to die." The Reaper cocked his gun, still aiming it at Derek's head.

Soon enough, Spencer, Rossi, Emily and Hotch had arrived at the location where Derek and Sergeant O'Mara had investigated. They both looked in shock as Hotch lifted the white cloth, revealing Sergeant O'Mara's dead body.

"If it's any consolation, I don't think he knew what hit him." The M.E. shrugged his shoulders.

"I'll call JJ. The Bureau's gonna have to make a statement." Rossi exhaled. Hotch headed back inside where Emily was watching Morgan having pieces of glass removed from his injured shoulder.

"You all right?" Hotch asked, worried.

"He took my credentials." Morgan exhaled, trying - but failing - to ignore the pain.

"The important thing is you're okay." Hotch nodded.

"He left me this." Morgan held up a bullet.

"Power and manipulation. Don't let him get to you." Hotch shook his head.

"Yeah, right. Ow, come on, man." He winced in pain when another shard of glass was removed.

"Prentiss, he's telling me, "I had you." Morgan shook his head, putting the bullet away.