60. Denied

If Cassidy was 100 percent honest, she didn't know when exactly was the last time she got decent sleep. Whether it was her fear that she may never get married to the love of her life, or the fact that the love of her life was in jail awaiting his murder trial- whatever it was, she couldn't sleep. The moment she closed her eyes, the nightmares began.

It made sleeping in their apartment difficult. Just standing in their kitchen reminded her of the fact that she was at home, and Spencer was locked away, unable to escape.

That's why, when Spencer was taken to Federal jail - pending trial - Cassidy stayed either at work, or at someone's house- whenever she wasn't on a case. Everyone was more than happy to let her stay with them. In fact, Penelope refused to pack up her couch, and turned it into an indefinite pull-out bed, so that Cassidy could feel free to stay with her whenever she wanted.

———
(At The BAU Office)

Like it had been for the past week, it was another late night. Cassidy could've gone home, or to someone's house, but she didn't want to. She wanted to stay at work for as long as she could. She wanted to drown herself in her work for as long as possible, so that the reality of Spencer not coming home for a long time would come later, rather than sooner.

"I still can't wrap my head around it." Penelope spoke as she walked up to Cassidy's desk, noticing how empty Spencer's desk not only looked, but felt as well.

"I know." JJ exhaled, noticing the pile of files still on Cassidy's desk.

"I, uh, I took a change of clothes to the precinct for him." Cassidy admitted, putting down her pen.

"Did you see him?" Penelope's eyes widened.

"Uh-uh. I left it with Emily. She said he was finally getting a little sleep. Now part of me's glad I didn't see him locked up. I don't think I could take it. I can barely go home without breaking down into tears." Cassidy shook her head, feeling her eyes fill with tears.

"Ohh, our sweet, sweet boy wonder." Penelope exhaled.

"He's strong. He's gonna be okay." JJ placed het arm around Penelope's shoulder, hugging her.

"We got a new swab from him and we're running it now." Rossi walked up to the women, holding his bag.

"Well, what happened to the comprehensive tox panel they ran in Mexico?" JJ asked, confused.

"With the red tape between jurisdictions, who knows if or when we'll get those results." Cassidy rolled her eyes, leaning back in her chair.

"He should be here." JJ shook her head.

"We need him. His mom needs him. His mother. How's his mother?" Penelope glanced at Cassidy, concerned.

"Well, she cried at first. Said it was all her fault he was even down there. But later she kept asking when Spencer would be home." Cassidy exhaled, shaking her head.

"Well, maybe it's a blessing she can forget." JJ smiled.

"What's our next step?" Rossi asked.

"Well, getting the kid home on bail pending trial." Derek walked up to the group, his bag in his left hand and his jacket in his right hand.

"Okay. That's a good baby step. I can focus on that." Penelope nodded, determined.

"And I'm ready, willing, and able to post that bail no matter how high they set it." Rossi smiled.

"I love you so hard." Penelope gave Rossi the biggest hug ever.

———
(Federal Jail)