49. Awake

It had been 20 minutes since Cassidy woke up from her horrible nightmare. She looked around and found herself in a hospital bed. In those 20 minutes, she just relaxed. She calmed down a little bit and took the time to enjoy watching Spencer sleep. Cassidy figured that it had been a long while since Spencer got much sleep, so she was happy to let him rest. Besides, she admired him and loved how cute he looked.

While watching Spencer sleep from her hospital bed, Cassidy heard a pair of heels come closer to the room. She looked up to see Penelope holding 3 cups of coffee and a brown paper bag.

She was about to start jumping with joy and excitement, but Cassidy shook her head. She held her index finger up to her lips and shushed Penelope, gesturing to Spencer, who was sound asleep. She nodded, understanding Cassidy's request to remain silent.

"How are you feeling?" Penelope whispered to Cassidy, who let out a quiet exhale.

"Tired. Sore. Hungry." Cassidy rolled her eyes, letting her head fall back onto the pillow.

"Well, luckily for you, I have a few food items here for you. They were originally for Spencer, but considering he's asleep and you're awake...he snoozes, he looses." Penelope chuckled, handing me a coffee and the brown paper bag.

"How are you tired? You've spent the past 4 days involuntarily asleep." Penelope reminded her.

"My involuntary sleep mostly consisted of a very horrible nightmare." Cassidy groaned when the sweet taste of coffee hit her tongue.

"Also, how much has wedding planning has Spencer done since I've been out?" Cassidy asked, confused.

"Not much. He spent so much time looking through the folder, trying to make decisions, but he always ended up focusing on you." Penelope exhaled, both of them watching as Spencer twitched a little before groaning.

"Speak of the boy genius." Penelope gestured to Spencer, who was opening his eyes, stretching as much as his position allowed.

"Oh my god! You're awake. Thank god you're awake." Spencer immediately stood up and wrapped his arms gently around Cassidy's torso. After a hug that lasted a good 10 seconds, Cassidy pulled away, placing a passionate kiss on Spencer's lips, having missed him so much.

"I am awake, and so are you." Cassidy chuckled.

"W- Why didn't you wake me up sooner?" Spencer questioned, confused.

"You looked so peaceful sleeping, and I figured that you hadn't got much sleep, so I left you alone." Cassidy exhaled.

"I'll go let the team know." Penelope nodded as she pulled out her phone, leaving the hospital room.

"You have no idea how much I wanted to wake up. My involuntary sleep left me in a nightmare that I feared would never end." Cassidy wiped her eyes, feeling so upset at the thought of her nightmare.

She could never be this emotional with the team. Yeah, sure, she might have told JJ, Emily and Penelope, but the team as a whole couldn't know what her nightmare was about, let alone that she cried at the thought of it. Yet, she didn't care that Spencer was seeing her cry, or that he would know what her nightmare was about. He had seen the most intimate parts of her, physically, mentally and emotionally.

Physically, Spencer had seen all of her body. Fully naked or fully clothed, Spencer had seen all of it. Every scar. Every bruise. Every cut. All of it.

Mentally, Spencer had seen how much she struggled. He watched as she suffered mentally for weeks, and even months, unable to get past the trauma that came from all the horrific things she had endured as a result of their job.

Emotionally, Spencer had tried to comfort her through the grief of losing Haley. He had tried to help her through the roller coaster that was dealing with her father and the murder case he was involuntarily apart of. He tried to support her through the process of legally abandoning her last name.

"What was your nightmare about? If you don't mind telling me. No pressure." Spencer held her hand.

"I'm going to tell you. You're going to be my husband next March. Everything needs to be out on the table." Cassidy reassured him.

"Take your time, Cassie. We're not going anywhere." Spencer held her hand.

"I- In my nightmare, y- you and JJ...were engaged. You couldn't k- keep your hands off each other. Watching you two...it broke my heart a- and made me physically sick." Cassidy revealed, seeing the tears form in Spencer's eyes.

"Look at me, Cassidy. I'm right here. What happened in your nightmare wasn't real. JJ is my best friend. She will never be more than that. You're my fiancée, Cassidy. Not JJ. I'm marrying you next March. Not JJ." Spencer reassured her, placing a gentle kiss on her lips.

"Oh thank god. I totally believed that you were going to be madly in love with JJ and engaged to her when I woke up." Cassidy let out a big sigh and smiled.

"Wait what? Did you really believe what happened in your nightmare?" Spencer looked at her in shock.

"Of course not, dummy!" She chuckled, kissing him. They both pulled away when Penelope walked back into the room.

"Don't stop the romance on my account! I've let the team know, and they'll come and visit once their current case is over." Penelope smiled.

"They're on a case right now? Where? What is it?" Cassidy asked, curious.

"Yes they are. They're dealing with a family annihilator in New Orleans, Louisiana." Penelope nodded.