15. Breaking protocol

Cassidy didn't really care that Spencer had been at her place for nearly 3 hours. She was enjoying the conversations that they were having. At first, they started talking about the cases that Spencer had been apart of before Cassidy joined the BAU. Then, the conversation turned to books that they were both interested in. Books turned into songs, and songs turned into co-workers.

As they talked, Cassidy realised that she wasn't very familiar with her co-workers. She knew Hotch, considering she'd known him since she was born, but as for the rest of the team, she had no idea. That's when Spencer smiled, realising that he could go on one of his rants.

"So, what's the deal with Penelope and Morgan?" Cassidy questioned, Spencer looking at her with interest and a smirk on his face.

For the next 15 minutes, Spencer talked about Penelope and Morgan, then about Emily and JJ and then about Rossi. That's when Spencer asked about Hotch, but Cassidy refused, knowing that he would transfer her or worse, fire her, if he ever found out that she told Spencer.

"So, what made you join the BAU? It's not exactly the type of job many people go for." Spencer sipped his drink, Cassidy sighing. This was a tricky question for her. There were many reasons why, yet, one reason was easy enough to explain.

"Hotch used to babysit me, and one day, he told me that he quit his job as a prosecutor, and joined the BAU. I didn't understand it at the time, but over the years, he'd tell me about his job, about the cases that he solved and if I was lucky enough, he'd teach me how to be a profiler and he'd even quiz me." Cassidy smiled as she remembered all the times that she and Hotch sat in her dad's living room, Hotch teaching her.

"Wow. You and Hotch must have been close when you were younger." Spencer chucked.

"I'm pretty sure that if Hotch didn't have my cousin Jack, he'd probably spend all his spare time with me- teaching me." She smiled, realising how much she missed her little cousin Jack.

"I'm not trying to sound too forward-" Spencer started.

"Says the man who drunkenly sat on a chair near me at the bar a couple of months ago, clearly wanting to talk to me." Cassidy smirked.

Out of nowhere, a man sat down on the seat near her. He sort of stood out. He wore a white shirt with a navy blue tie, dark gray pants and converse. His hair was short, kind of giving her boy-band vibes. He was clearly not sober, considering his knee was shaking. She could tell that he wasn't trying to be creepy by looking at her.

"Really? It was YOU who started the conversation!" Spencer argued, smiling.

"You're not a drinking person, are you?" Cassidy spoke to the lanky man, seeing his gaze snap to her, his attention all on her.

"Anyway. I know that we agreed on a whole...friends with benefits thing, but I think that we're past that point." Spencer looked at Cassidy, his heart racing.

"W- What I'm trying to s- say is that...I like you, like a lot. Being around you makes me happy." Spencer smiled, his hands fidgeting. Every word that had exited his mouth was true. Seeing her everyday made him smile. Just being able to be close to her made him feel safe.

"I like you a lot too. To be honest, when I woke up in your arms after you got drunk and I drove you here, a feeling of familiarity and safeness washed over me as I let your arm keep me close." Cassidy watched as Spencer's face dropped in surprise.

"I didn't want to move. To me, waking up in your arms was something that made me feel safe, like I wanted to wake up like that every day." She continued, suddenly feeling his lips on hers. Pulling away, they both smiled.

"So, will you be my girlfriend?" Spencer asked as he held her hand.

"Yes." She nodded, placing a kiss on his lips.

"Perfect. My first task as your boyfriend is to take you on a date." Spencer chuckled.

"That sounds like a lovely idea, Spencer." She smiled.

"But first, I think you should let Hotch know that you're okay. It's been a while since you came here." She showed him the time, watching as he shook his head.

"Worst case scenario, Hotch gets Garcia to track my phone's GPS." Spencer rolled his eyes.

"And then she'll proceed to know that you're here, at my house, which she'll then tell to Morgan. Then, he'll tell Emily, JJ and Rossi. Can you guess where I'm going with this?" Cassidy reminded him, knowing how Morgan and the team liked to find any reason to tease Spencer.

"On second thought, I'd better call Hotch." Spencer nodded, suddenly agreeing with her.

"Don't forget to lie!" Cassidy smiled, watching as her boyfriend cleared his throat, nervously waiting for Hotch to answer.

After ending the call, Spencer sat back down.

"I just realised, if anyone finds out about us, one or both of us could be transferred or worse, fired. We're technically breaking protocol by dating." Spencer remembered.

"Screw protocol. What the team - and in turn Strauss and Hotch don't know won't hurt them." Cassidy smiled as he pressed her lips against Spencer's, initiating a passionate make-out session.