59. On their own

SPENCER
I had never been so bored. Mind you, I was stuck behind bars within a Mexico police station. The medic had taken some of my blood.

"Hey, Reid. It's good to see you, pretty boy." I watched as three people were being led toward the cell by the Inspector, who called my name.

I had no idea who the three people where. Although, they looked vaguely familiar.

"It's me, Derek." The muscly man stood forward, smiling.

"Derek. Thank you for coming." I nodded, smiling back.

"Of course. We're gonna get you out of here, kid." Rossi insisted.

"We need to work out some details with the locals, okay." Emily stood forward, a comforting smile on her face.

"Who was your contact down here?" Derek asked.

"Rosa. Rosa Medina. I think she's a doctor." I pulled up my sleeve, revealing her name written on my arm in my hand writing. Derek pulled out his phone, taking a picture of it.

"All right. Where did you meet her?" Derek asked, sending the photo to Garcia.

"I don't remember." I admitted.

"If you saw her, would you remember her?" Derek asked.

"Yeah. I think so." I nodded, strongly agreeing with Derek's question.

"You're missing time, aren't you?" Emily asked. I could see the concern on her face.

"It's peeking out. It's coming in flashes." I breathed.

"And you've been drugged." Emily raised her eyebrows, clearly not surprised.

"Yeah, but I didn't take it myself." I got a bit defensive.

"Well, of course you didn't, Spencer. We're thinking it might be Scratch." Emily revealed.

"Scratch." I exhaled, confused.

I watched as Derek answered his beeping phone, walking off.

GENERAL
"Hey, JJ." Derek exhaled.

"Is he okay?" JJ asked as Derek held the phone to his ear.

"Yeah. I mean, he's in one piece. I'm not sure he recognises us." Derek shook his head.

"That could be the drugs. Would a cognitive help?" Penelope asked, concerned.

"I really think we're a little far off for that right now. Um, he definitely didn't recognize Scratch's name. But he wrote the name of his local contact, Rosa Medina, on his arm. I just sent the pic to Garcia. He says that she's a doctor." Derek explained to JJ and Penelope.

"So his short-term is coming back, but it's limited. And it sounds like his long-term is still a mess." JJ exhaled.

"Okay, this definitely reads chicken scratch, but it's...oh, there are a lot of Rosa Medinas in Mexico." Penelope looked at JJ, worried.

"Well, let's start with women in Houston and Brownsville, and then cross them with Mexican citizens." JJ limited the search for Penelope.

"Got it." She nodded.

"He told Emily he was gonna talk to his mom's doctor." Derek explained.

"If that was true, we all assumed it was the doctor from the clinic, but maybe it was this Rosa Medina. And she could be being cautious, which is why we haven't been able to find any communication between them." JJ revealed.

"And why should she be cautious?" Penelope asked, confused.

"Well, because in 2015, 60 holistic doctors across the United States died mysteriously. Some were accidents, others violent attacks, others were deemed suicide. Conspiracy theorists believe these doctors were targeted fatally by pharmaceutical companies for their belief in holistic practice." JJ explained, scaring Penelope.