38. Familial harm

"Hotch." Emily looked at Hotch, who flipped through files and journals, realising who had contacted the serial killer that they were interviewing.

"I can't believe you can't see what he's doing!" Karl laughed as Emily looked at Hotch, confused.

"What is going on?" Emily asked.

"He's torturing him. It's great to see you squirm, Agent Hotchner!" Karl started clapping and laughing louder.

"Foyet." Hotch growled.

"He knew you'd come. Ha ha ha ha ha!" Karl laughed before Hotch and Emily left, heading back to the BAU office.

———
(2 days later)

It had been months since Cassidy went into protective custody with Haley and Jack. Spencer didn't know exactly how long they had been away, only that he missed her like crazy. The apartment felt so empty without her. He'd often come home from work, expecting to see Cassidy reading a book on the couch or making something to eat. But then he'd remember that she was somewhere safe - somewhere where Foyet can't get to her, Haley or Jack.

It didn't help at all that Strauss had ordered for a full investigation into the leadership of Hotch. Each member of the team was due to be interviewed by Strauss. The first team member chosen was JJ.

(JJ's Interview)

"Please say your name and rank for the record." Strauss spoke as she pressed a button, starting a recording.

"Supervisory Special Agent Jennifer with the Behavioral Analysis Unit in Quantico, Virginia." JJ spoke, facing Hotch.

"And how long have you been a member of the BAU?" Strauss asked.

"6 years." JJ clasped her hands together.

"And have you worked under Agent Hotchner the entire time?" Strauss questioned.

"No, ma'am. I currently report to acting Unit Chief Derek Morgan." JJ exhaled.

That was another thing that had changed. Hotch had to step down as the BAU's Unit Chief because he was personally involved with the George Foyet case.

"Who took over the unit because Agent Hotchner's ability to lead the team had become compromised?" Strauss looked down at her notes.

"I- I don't believe that's the reason." JJ shook her head.

"You have a different understanding?" Strauss question, intrigued.

"SSA Hotchner voluntarily stepped down so we could continue to do our jobs unhindered." JJ nodded.

"How would you describe Agent Hotchner's recent behaviour?" Strauss asked.

"Driven." She smiled.

"Driven? Agent Jareau, your entire team is on the line if I cannot reconcile an adequate account of Agent Hotchner's investigation into George Foyet." Strauss exhaled.

"We were all investigating the Reaper. SSA Hotchner was not the only one, especially after he sent us that calling card." JJ watched as Strauss nodded.

"The newspaper articles he mailed to Karl Arnold." Strauss acknowledged the evidence.

"2 letters from 2 different locations. They ramped us all back up again." JJ shook her head, exhaling.