26. A witness

Cassidy and Rossi stood in the police station, talking to the lead on the case.

"You're saying these killers are on a mission?" The Chief asked, confused.

"These unsubs believe they're either on a mission from God or that the bible was somehow guiding them." Rossi explained.

"Unsubs?" The Chief questioned, unsure what they meant.

"That stands for unknown subjects." Cassidy informed the Chief, who exhaled, nodding.

"The killers, working as a team." Rossi, Cassidy and the Chief sat in the conference room within the precinct.

"It sounded to me like only one of them was into the mission." The Chief explained, confused.

"It's usually more complicated than even that." Rossi shook his head, ready for Cassidy to become Reid for a minute or two.

"In the case of Dick Hickock and Perry Smith, Perry was the subservient personality. Basically against even entering the clutter home, and yet he was the one who almost single-handedly slaughtered the entire family." Cassidy had definitely learned from Spencer, as she rambled on about some well-known serial killer case.

"Huh." The Chief nodded, clearly impressed with her knowledge.

"How many times was Mr. Kyle stabbed?" Cassidy asked.

"Stabbed...isn't exactly the word." The Chief admitted, Cassidy and Rossi looking at each other in confusion.

———

Emily stood with the M.E., having a good look at the two bodies in front of her.

"They're all long, deep gashes. Each victim has virtually the same wounds- both throats cut, a vertical gash up one arm from wrist to elbow, and a vertical gash down one leg from crotch to upper thigh." The M.E. explained.

"Major arteries." Emily's eyes widened, her eyebrows raised as she lifted up the white sheet the covered most of the victims bodies.

"It's damned efficient." The M.E. scoffed.

"How much knowledge of anatomy would someone need to do this?" Emily asked as she continued to look at the bodies.

"Anyone with a basic understanding of the body knows where these arteries are." The M.E. explained.

"And do you have any idea which one of these wounds was delivered first?" Emily questioned.

"Um, there was a- there was active blood flow from each of the wounds, so they're probably all delivered at about the same time. With any of these wounds, the victim would bleed out quickly, almost like an animal at slaughter." The M.E. explained, looking at the chart that held all the information.

"No. Exactly like an animal at slaughter. A deer or a lamb or a cow, something like that. You- You cut the throat first, then- then sometimes open up other major arteries to assist in draining the carcass." The M.E. realised, Emily nodding at the information she was getting.

"So, maybe a hunter?" She questioned.

"Or a farmer. Pretty much anyone in rural Georgia." The M.E. exhaled, a defeated look appearing on Emily's face.

———

Hotch, JJ, Cassidy and Rossi stood within the police station, Hotch looking at a map of Georgia.