29. Possible lead

Hotch sat in a courtroom next to Cece. Spencer sat behind him a few rows back. Across from him, to his right, sat Brian Matloff and his attorney.

"We'd like to request that the defendant undergo the process of brain fingerprinting. This procedure will show if the memories of the crimes are present in the mind of the defendant, regardless of whether or not he chooses to recall them." Cece requested, standing up.

"Your honor, where do I begin? The Science on this type of testing is unproven, to say the least." Lester Serling - Matloff's attorney - argued.

"In the state of Iowa vs. Terry Harrington, the results were ruled admissible as Scientific evidence as defined in congress ruling 702. And in Daubert v. Merrell." Cece smiled.

"This is a hail Mary, your honour. They have no evidence and they know it. And beyond that, my client is in a very fragile mental state. I can't - in good conscience - let them go poking around in his brain." Lester argued, trying to seem concerned.

"What about that? Is it safe?" The judge asked. Cece gestured for Hotch to stand up. He straightened his blazer and cleared his throat.

"The test is non-invasive and completely safe. He'll simply be looking at images on a computer screen while an E.E.G. monitors his brain activity." Hotch informed the judge.

"Subject him to graphic imagery to prompt some kind of reaction, which they can then point to as evidence of guilt? It's perverse." Lester shook his head.

"I want to do it." Brian spoke up, shocking everyone. He stood up, his hand gripping the top of the cane he was using.

"Your honor. Every day I waken to this, uh...nightmare of not knowing who or...what I am, and if this test can really help me remember, then whatever the consequences, I- I want to do it. I have to." Brian admitted, seeming genuine.

———

Hotch and Cece watched for 15 minutes as Brian sat in a small office with the computer and the equipment. When his phone buzzed, he answered it, hoping that JJ had something good to report.

"Yeah, JJ. I'm in with Matloff." Hotch held his phone to his ear.

"I'm at the hospital. I may have something interesting." JJ spoke as she held her phone to her ear, her other hand holding a clipboard with some pieces of paper on it.

"What have you got?" Hotch questioned.

"Matloff had a visitor that came about once every 6 months while he was here." JJ spoke.

"Somebody we know?" Hotch asked, confused.

"It's not a name I recognize from the case file. The name on the visitor log is Nina Moore." JJ informed Hotch, who looked at Cece.

"Track her down. I gotta go." Hotch spoke.

"I'm on it." She nodded, ending the call.

———

Hotch and Cece definitely didn't get the answer they were looking for. So, Hotch landed back in the BAU office, walking with Rossi to the group who rested in the bullpen, among the desks.

"The brain fingerprinting may have just killed any chance we have of putting Matloff away." Hotch groaned.

"So how'd he get over? I thought nobody could beat this test." Cassidy asked over the phone. She had been consulting with the team remotely, which Spencer didn't mind, although he preferred her being with him and the team in person.

"The damage to his parietal lobe must have been more extensive than previously thought. The brain injury could have literally deleted his memories." Spencer shook his head.