[22]: The Past

"Y/N, come on baby, wake up."

Your eyes slowly cracked open at the sound of the whispers in your ear, only to meet your mother's eyes. Sweat ran down her forehead, as she tucked her arms under you.

"Shh, be quiet, Y/N. Okay?"

You rubbed your eyes sleepily, as she held you on her hip.

She had a big jacket on, but only on the side that she carried you, leaving her left arm completely bare.

In a rush, your mother breathed muted gasps as she carried you silently through the walls of the dead home.

It was dark. You couldn't see.

All you knew was to be quiet.

Your mom seemed to be scared, too. What was she doing?

Within minutes, the two of you had left the building, and were running down the path, and in the direction of the shoreline, of Kyushu Island.

Your mother put you down by her side and held your hand.

"As fast as you can now, Y/N, run!"

The desperation in her voice was scary enough to keep you quiet, as you ran. You didn't know anything about what was going on.

The two of you emerged from the tree-line, finally able to see the shore.

"Y-Yes! The boat, over there!"

She dragged you across the sand as quickly as she could, running with all her energy.

She had organised the boat prior, to the escape. But to her, actually seeing it gave her a sense of freedom that she was enchanted by.

"Here, jump!" your mother put her hands around you and lifted you up into the docked tiny-boat. "Okay, sit down."

Every word was poisonous and dark.

It was terrifying you.

You did as you were told, and sat down in the front of the boat, holding onto the sides with tears in your eyes.

You watched on as your mother ripped the anchor from the sand with her bare hands.

It was then that you noticed the cars coming.

"M-Mama..?"

Two huge beach cars plummeted from each direction, roaring down the land towards you.

Your mother looked up at you and swung her head to the right, to see them quickly approaching.

"Shit!" she cussed under her breath, pushing the boat down the sand with all of her might. She pushed and pushed, and soon you were in the water.

She ripped the throttle on the engine, firing it up. It roared to life beneath you.

You started crying.

By the time she had pushed you to the knee-deep water, the cars had arrived.

The men piled out of the cars like ants, running towards the boat.

"MAMA!" you called out.

One of the men reached over, and grabbed ahold of her exposed arm.

You heard the sizzle of the mans' burning flesh before he pulled away in agony.

Your mother grunted loudly as she pushed the boat further out, drenching her jeans in the water up to her thighs.