[65]: Serendipity

"SHOUTO!"

Your glass-shattering scream shakes the small hospital room, as you sit up. Your back and shoulders are flaming red burning your hospital gown as you scream out, desperate to see him.

"I'm here!" he calls in a panic. "Y/N, i'm right here."

He's already holding your hand.

Here, here, here. The word echoes around your head like a broken record.

He's here.

Your flames immediately fizzle out.

You turn to him, and you see his face. A small scratch is under his eye, he has messy hair, and a worried smile that is bleeding gratitude.

You didn't know it was possible to miss somebody as much as you had missed him.

But seeing his face in this moment, was the biggest relief you had experienced since you came back. His expression is soft and warm, cautious and caring of you.

It's obvious he is hurting.

And he sees you.

His eyes are crying and red and he sees you.

He feels endless pain and heartbreak and he sees you.

And in that moment, nothing else matters.

You burst into tears, your arm flies around his neck and you pull him into you. His head goes over your shoulder and rests there, the desperation of your pull almost knocking the wind out of him.

He stares at the wall in shock but it only takes a moment until he relaxes again. His eyes soften as he sees how scared you are.

You pull him all the way back, until his entire weight is on you.

He doesn't mind. He just hopes he's not dreaming.

You cry, squeezing him so hard that his face starts to go red. You cry, and cry, and cry. You want to scream. Scream out all the pain that you feel and shatter the walls around you. But instead, you swallow it.

For now, he's got you.

"Sho-" you choke, spluttering. "I'm not dead! I'm here and i'm not going anywhere!"

Each word is garnished with a sob, but Shouto doesn't care.

He wraps his arms around you even tighter than before, and is completely unable to fight back his smile.

"Promise?"

——————

You lay back against your craned hospital bed.

You had a very heavy afternoon. While you laid still in bed, the students from your class, your friends, had been coming and going for hours in small groups, greeting you and apologising to you, and everything in between.

Some of them tried to scold you, still unsure if you were going to try and run away again.

But Shouto and Katsuki were always right there to shut those people down. The two of them were absolutely sure that you wouldn't be going anywhere - and that was enough for them.

Plus, you didn't need any lecturing right now.

Neither of them knew exactly what had changed in you since you'd been back—but they were glad it finally did.

It seemed like you finally understood.

For Bakugou especially, there were still some justifiable suspicions lingering around, sure. But, something in your eyes was certain.