[61]: Making Moves

A few gloomy hours after the meeting with the principle, Shouto wound up alone in his dorm room.

It was dark, with only a single desk lamp lighting one corner of his room.

He was sitting at the foot of his bed on the ground, with his legs crossed before him. There was an intense misery that took his expression, as the affliction ripped the light from his eyes.

He was staring at his door.

Because for weeks, he had sat still waiting for you to walk through it.

Every day. He waited.

He envisioned how it would play out: how you wouldn't knock, not even once. How you'd just open the door and walk inside, swiftly closing it behind you. You wouldn't say a word, afraid of your own voice, and you'd slip off your shoes by the door, and tread over to him. You'd quietly sit down on his lap, smelling of vanilla and his favourite campfire. You'd wrap your arms around him in a tight hug and you'd hide your face, all too aware of how you looked. Then, you whisper a broken, shaky apology into his ear, but Shouto would tell you not to. No matter how much he suffered in your absence, it didn't matter, because you were back.

Shouto opened his eyes back up and shook away the feeling of tears brewing in his eyes.

He had been much too unaware of how extensive his fondness of you had become. Your influence had gone misunderstood until you were gone. He was caught criminally off-guard as the realisation dawned upon him like a forest fire burning up his heart like timber.

The familiar pain of missing someone was clawing at his chest and breaking his ribs.

In the blindness of torture, the feeling of you being gone reintroduced a certain dread that his mother had been the first to plant in his chest.

------

"Are you sure this is going to work, Bakugou?" Mina called out to her classmate who was walking a few metres ahead of the rest of them, asserting his dominance.

Or at the very least, putting a giant fuck-off wedge between him and them.

"It's my idea, so what the hell do you think?"

"Kacchan, don't you think it would be better to split up? We could cover much more ground."

"Since you were the leader of the group that took two weeks to find nothing, I don't give a shit about your input on my plan, Deku."

"R-Right."

Bakugou's face didn't carry his overly characteristic red rage that it normally did. No matter the oddness of it, there was a calmness in his eyes.

An alarming focus that was sparking nerves into the group that followed him.

Bakugou would die before admitting it to the others, but he had been challenged by your disappearance. The fact that you were able to escape and remain hidden seemed to him like proof that he was not anywhere close to where he wanted to be.

Every day he went to sleep was another day he'd been defeated. He was royally fed up.

"We stay together so she can't outrun us. When we find her, she's not just gonna get on her knees and listen." Bakugou argues, marching down the street. "So you all better be prepared for a fight."

"A fight? You really think we're gonna have to fight her?"

"I dunno. But if knocking her out cold is what it takes to get her to shut up and listen, that's just what i'll do."