[59]: Not A Liability

"So. Clearly, this isn't working. We need a new game plan."

"No! I get that it's slow, but what if we just keep trying! I mean, if we keep it up every day, we're bound to find her soon!"

"No, Ashido, I agree with Midoriya. What we've been doing, is not enough to find her. If we keep doing the same thing, we could be right where we are now, in three months time."

"But-"

"We're approaching two weeks now, since Yuna left. And even with our daily rotations of taking turns going into the city looking for her, as a class, we've still overturned nothing promising." Midoriya leads the conversation about your retrieval with a bold prominence. "We're losing time. We need to reevaluate the plan."

"But we still have no idea where she could be. What else is there for us to do? With no contact, and no clues, we're chasing our own tails!" Mina chimed in beside the other girls on one of the sofas in the main room. "There isn't even a teeny tiny clue. She might have even left the city, for all we know!"

The whole 1-A class is gathered in the community room on the bottom floor of the dorms.

Midoriya had called the meeting to discuss the moves that they had been making.

"I sincerely doubt that she would have opted to leave the city." Shouto made his voice heard through the thick air. "I would be willing to place my own life on it, that she hasn't."

"Damn...he must know her pretty well." Kaminari whispered to Kirishima.

"So, yesterday, Yaomomo and Ashido took morning shift looking through the city, while Sero and Todoroki took afternoon." Midoriya looked down to the floor while thinking. "My theory is that because we have been keeping all this stuff under-wraps from the teachers, it has meant that we've had to send out very small, unsuspecting groups, to not draw attention. And that is having an effect on our time-efficiency."

"Right. We know that. We've been flying under the radar with small search teams."

"Yes. But, what i'm proposing, is that if we can get permission from the teachers to go out as a team to find her, we can cover so much more ground. My theory is that if we can get clearance to use our quirks in public to look for her, it'll make the whole thing much faster, and I think our chances of finding her will improve exponentially."

Bakugou steps up, between Shouto and Midoriya.

"Look, I don't know what you idiots have been doin' with the stupid 'wondering around the city in disguise' thing. But when you say you haven't found shit, you ain't speaking for me, got it?"

"What do you mean, Kacchan? You haven't come on any of the searches with us, yet."

"That's what you think, Deku. I've been out there every day, just not with you. And i've actually been doing the smart thing, that anyone with a functioning brain would, and gathering intel."

"What do ya mean, bro? What intel?"

"I was actually smart about it, unlike all of you pinheads." Bakugou groaned, slipping his hands into his pockets. "I been asking around the whole city, giving people her description and asking if they'd seen her. I already found like fifteen people that have."

"Wow, that must have taken so much time to do!"

"I wanna get back to classes so I can keep levelling up. And since this dumbass is missin', I can't. So i'm getting her back as quick as possible for my own damn benefit."

"So, have you got any info on what she's been doing? Or where she's been staying?"

Bakugou rolls his eyes. "Do you even know who you're talking to? Of course I have. A ton of people said that she's been helping them out, around the city. Villain attacks, accidents, even the boring-ass tasks like walking old people cross roads. But one common denominator that was in all of their stories - was that when they first saw her, they thought she was a villain."

"So, her look has changed?"

"Must have. Her hero costume is too lame to be scary." Bakugou said. "I found out from one of the locals that she was sleeping under a bridge like a damn bum! It pissed me off so much. So I went straight there, but she'd already moved."

"WHAT!?" Ochaco stood up in a panic. "Why would she be sleeping under a bridge? Why won't she just come home? I don't understaaaaand!"

Mina stood up also to console Ochaco, but agreed with what she was saying.

"Seriously, that's super bad. It's been raining non-stop! It's not safe for a young girl out there."

"Ya got the wrong idea. She can take care of herself, as if she hasn't proved that yet." Bakugou groaned in annoyance. "My point is that we have a pattern in her moves. I know i'm not that far off her tail, now."

"How can you be so sure, Bakugou?" Iida asked.

"Because I actually know what I'm doing, four-eyes. Ashy isn't as smart as you all think she is. I'm onto her."

Everyone in the room looks around at each other. There are some silent whispers back and fourth for a few seconds.

Bakugou glances at Shouto for a moment. His eyes are bored and tired like his posture, and he removes his hands from his pockets.

Shouto looks back at him.

He has a hint of hope underlaying his expression.

"Don't worry. You'll have your girlfriend back soon." Bakugou teases, flashing a proud grin. "'Cus I know exactly how to find her."

———————

"I'm so sorry for keeping this from you, Sensei!" Midoriya admitted, coming clean about the mission that had been active. "I just...didn't know what else to do."

"You should have come to me first, Midoriya."

He lowers his head in embarrassment, holding his hands together in front of him.

"I feel embarrassed that I even have to tell you kids how incredibly stupid this was."

The entire class had gone to speak to Aizawa, and told him all about what they had been doing for the last two weeks, in their attempt at finding you.

They had admitted to their secret missions, that had been going on behind the dormitory doors.

Aizawa was not happy, at first.

But he also was not surprised.

The police weren't doing any better at finding you, than the class had been doing. 

Bakugou stepped forward. "Look, Sir, to be honest, we only came here to let you know what we're doing next. Weather or not you approve of it, we're doing it. Because as long as my classes are affected by Ashy going missing, i'm not gonna quit until she's back."

Bakugou kept a cool tone of voice, although it was sharp.

Aizawa glared at him.

"You do understand that even if I wanted to authorise you students for something like using your quirks in public like this, I could lose my licence to continue teaching you. And worse."

That silenced the class.

"...However."

The students lean forward, eager to hear what their teacher was going to say next, because of his smug tone of voice.

"I agree that locating Yuna is very important and I have no interest in wasting anymore time. So, i'm not opposed to new ideas on how we can find her." Aizawa rolls his hips forward to sink deeper into his chair, rubbing his eyes. "Frankly, i'm sick to death of this. I would love to speed it up. Even if that boils down to just finding out that she's okay."

"R-Really, Sir? I don't know-"

"Shut up, raccoon-eyes. Let him do it."

Aizawa sighs, "I can't guarantee what he's going to say, but I'm going to call Nezu in here, and see what he has to say about it. We can talk about this with him."

The students are listening closely. Aizawa stands from his table and reaches for the intercom to summon the Principle.

"But don't you dare disregard my authority like that again, got it?"

"YES, SIR!"