[26]: Teamwork

Oof...

You winced in pain as your body smashed against the side of the mountain while you tumbled towards the bottom.

Okay, let's just fire off and break the fall!

You stopped in your tracks as you felt strong arms wrap around your waist.

Who...?

You opened your eyes and saw Shouto had grabbed you, and pulled your head into his chest. Both of you fell.

Fuck...now I can't.

Shouto held onto you as tight as he could while the two of you plummeted towards the ground along the mountain-side.

Endless grunts of pain and shock escaped both of your lungs, in the rough fall with each rock or ledge that you hit.

Your sides screamed out in pain, but you could only imagine how much worse Shouto's was. He was purposely rotating his body to take as much of the knocks and crashes that he could.

Fuck we just have to take the fall...

In just a few seconds, seconds that happened to feel like hours, you and Shouto smashed into the floor below. Rolling for many metres, before you finally stopped.

You slowly blinked your eyes open, noticing the airborne dirt flying over your bodies.

Shouto tore away from you.

But he was still so close.

"Are you okay?" he panicked, looking over your face. "Why were you standing right on the edge?"

"Uh.." you stuttered, trying to ignore the overbearing pain that the huge fall had forced upon you.

Then, more rocks crumbling behind you caught your attention.

"Look." you said.

You and Shouto lay on the floor, looking up to the mountain where the rest of the class were also falling down in a huge mudslide, screaming in terror.

"Oh." Shouto deadpanned. "So, it was intentional? Part of the first test."

"Ugh, I guess I fell too soon." you groaned, rubbing your hip. "That dirt was so damn hard, while the dirt that the others are in right now, almost looks liquidised."

"You're right." Shouto looked to where your hand was massaging your hip. "Are you okay? Do you want me to ice that?"

He slowly reached his hand to hover over where yours was, but his eyes remained buried into yours, as he awaited permission.

The thought of Shouto resting his hand on your hip sent your brain into overdrive panic.

"Uh- no, no. I'll be fine. But thank you."

You put your arms beneath you and used your strength to push yourself into a standing position. Then, you placed both hands on your hips and leaned back to stretch your back, while a symphony of pops sounded down the length of your spine.

Shouto stood up just after you.

"Okay. What now?"

The other students littered the earth around you, now. All confused, scared, and seeking guidance.

You looked back up to the top of the cliff. The teachers looked down over you.

"The lodge is that way!" Mandalay called out with a smile. "If you hurry, you should be able to make it there in time for lunch, which is in three hours!"