[42]: Approval

FOUR DAYS LATER

———————

SHOUTO
i'll be on my way soon.

Y/N
okay perfect

SHOUTO
do you need anything from the store?

Y/N
no, thank you tho :)

Y/N
WAIT actually, if u go past a place with instant coffee, we are out of that 😬

Y/N
i'll give the you cash when you get here

SHOUTO
no need. what brand would you like?
read, 10:17am

———————

You had no choice but to drop your phone and sprint when you heard Mae's blood-curdling scream echo from the kitchen.

"OH MY GOD, PLEASE NO!"

You zapped down the halls, careful to not light the walls on fire, and burst out into the kitchen.

"WHAT!?"

She stood there in a tank top and jean shorts, grinning sneakily and wielding an unlit cigarette between her fingertips.

"FUCKING HELL, MAE!" you rubbed your forehead in agony. "You have to stop doing that!"

"WHY SHOULD I? YOU'D HAVE ME INVEST IN A LIGHTER IN THIS ECONOMY WHILE I HAVE MY VERY OWN HUMAN-BLOWTORCH RIGHT HERE!?"

You threw your hands up in blatant rage, "YOU'RE NOT EVEN HERE HALF THE TIME! AND WE HAVE A GAS-TOP STOVE! JUST LIGHT IT THERE!"

"DO YOU WANT ME TO INHALE BUTANE? AND WASTE ALL THE GAS IN OUR TANKS? WHAT DID I DO FOR YOU TO HATE ME SO MUCH!?"

Your mouth was wide open with shock.

"..."

"..."

"MY FIRE LITERALLY HAS PRUSSIC ACID AND HYDROGEN CYANIDE IN IT! ARE YOU CRAZY! DO YOU NEED ME TO EXPLAIN BASIC CHEMICAL COMPOUNDS TO YOU? IT WOULD TAKE THREE PUFFS OF THAT CIGARETTE AND YOU'D DROP TO THE FLOOR IN A FIT!" 

Her fake-shock started to melt into a darling grin. She dropped her shoulders.

"Tch, I know you learned to control that." she smiled, shaking her head blissfully, "Pretending to be weak won't work around me, kiddo."

You stared at her as the corners of your mouth started twitching upwards, against your will.

You often partook in false fights with her. It was like a running joke.

"Now, come," she walked past you, playfully nudging your shoulder with her elbow. "Join me outside."

You dropped your head and chuckled lowly, before following her outside to the balcony.

The two of you took your seats, leaning back leisurely and turning to watch over the quiet part of town.

A gentle smile overcame your face. You felt oddly peaceful.

School would soon return back to normal, your injuries were almost all healed aside from some bandaged problem areas, and you had made what a normal person would consider your first friend.

You sighed.

"Y/N."

You turned to face Mae, confused by her stern tone.