[66]: Home

A week later, and you are finally allowed back into the dorms.

Allowed into the safety and comfort of your own bedroom, your own bed. You are warm and well-fed and surrounded by your best friends.

Mae had visited you already. You two spoke for hours.

Actually, it was mostly her that was speaking. And screaming, and crying. She shook you and hugged you and talked and talked. And she would have kept going for days if you didn't stop her.

You couldn't break the news to her that you had visited her many times during your weeks away. You couldn't help it. It was only in the middle of the night, when you were almost sure you weren't being followed, you'd go home.

You'd sneak inside your apartment through the balcony. You'd wander into Mae's room and make sure she was sleeping tight. You'd make sure she had water on her bedside, and pull her blankets up. You would sniff the air around the apartment to remember what love smelled like.

What a family smelled like.

Warmth, a summer breeze, and fresh baked bread. Flowers. It smelled of your old perfume, and menthol cigarettes. The smell of running water from a nearby creek. You would wander into your private gym and sit in the floor, recalling all the nights you'd spent training in here.

You visited Mae as often as possible, but you couldn't tell that to her now.

As she left, you promised to come and visit her soon. You said your goodbyes and tried your best not to cry. Though, your efforts were in vain as soon as she closed the door.

You dropped to your knees and a sob ripped up through your throat.

—————

Only an hour later, you find yourself alone with Shouto in your bedroom.

It was a silent agreement between you that he would come to your dorm every afternoon to hang out together. You'd watch movies, or study, or simply talk. While classes were scheduled to resume next week, you and Shouto had to take advantage of your free time, and spend as much of it together.

Sure, you had broken his heart, with what you did.

But Shouto planned to keep on loving you with all the little pieces.

You were beside each other, nice and warm with your legs under the covers, as you sat with your backs to the wall, watching the door. You couldn't explain how good it felt to have clean clothes on, and a fluffy bed.

You had everything you needed to live a happy life.

Food, clean clothes, and Shouto.

"Everything feels different, now." you mumble while toying with hem on your hoodie sleeve. "The people, especially."

Shouto takes your hand closest to him, and brings it onto his lap. He makes a little spot for it on the blanket and starts to gently stroke his thumb over the exposed soft skin.

"I think some of the students and teachers might still feel like they're treading on eggshells around you. After everything that has happened, I think everyone is a little shaken up." his voice is composed and as sweet as honey. "But don't worry yourself about that, I'm sure it won't be long until everybody relaxes into you being back."

You smile down at your hand that he is nursing.

"I had no idea how much chaos my leaving caused."

"I think there is no way you could possibly understand unless you were here." he says, "All of our classes were put on hold, seventy-percent of the hero population were focused on finding you. You had pros and teachers and students and even the general public out looking for you, for weeks. It was crazy in here for a while."