6. Two Ghosts

ugh I hope you all love this chapter as much as I do. I truly dedicate this chapter to phylliCheese  This was such a pivotal chapter when planning out this fanfic 

Visenya sat next to Rhaenyra while she got her arm stitched and Laenor walked in, eyes bloodshot from grief and being tired

"Vis," He sighed in relief when he saw her, pulling her in for a hug. "I am so sorry I wasn't there."

"It's ok, I do not blame you, Father."

"I should have been there to defend you from such a cruel betrothal," Laenor said in disgust.

"It's my fault," Visenya spoke. "Luke lied, I didn't take his eye because he called them bastards. I didn't care. Of course, they are bastards, we all are."

Rhaenyra tilted her head. "Visenya, then why did you do it?"

"I should have claimed Vhagar. I was so mad. Grandmother Rhaenys no longer acts as if she likes me because her prized granddaughters are here, Baela and Rhaena are completely mean, I still have no dragon, and I was just so angry. Aemond has bullied me all my life and he was the closest person I could hurt."

Laenor and Rhaenyra were taken aback by her confession.

"So, as much as I hate it, I suppose the betrothal is my fault. Maybe Grandsire will change his mind by the time I bleed."

Laenor looked at Rhaenyra. "I told you that one day it would all boil up to be too much. You can still name her heir."

"And have Aemond be King Regent? Absolutely not!"

And there was her chance to fix things and she was still too consumed by her pride. Visenya looked down at her hands. "At this point, I would rather be married to Aemond than listen to this! Mother, I can't do this anymore! All I have wanted from you my whole life was love and to be heard! You have never taken what I want into consideration. Thanks to you and those Hightowers, I have never felt good enough."

Laenor glanced at Rhaenyra and then back at Visenya. "Let me talk to your mother. We sail back for Dragonstone in the morning, so go check on your brothers. If they are with Rhaena and Baela, I give you permission to do anything else. Just try not to take any more eyes."

She spent the afternoon in the gardens alone, wishing Helaena had stayed so she didn't have to be alone. After the incident, Alicent and Viserys set back for King's Landing, all of their children flying back to the Keep atop their dragons. It had been decided that unless she wanted to come back sooner, she didn't have to return to King's Landing until she bled and was ready for the wedding.

By the time the sun had set, her parents were preparing to leave for home in the morning but something seemed off. Rhaenyra was constantly whispering with Daemon and Laenor had a look of dread.