40. The Red Council

Aemond didn't have nervous habits

Aemond didn't have nervous habits. He was a calm man, aloof the most. He kept his emotions inside, making sure he could be a rock for the people around him in public. If he ever worried, he kept it to himself.

This was why his pacing and biting the skin around his nails was a shock to everyone.

He felt indebted to Brella now. She single-handedly saved the lives of his child and possibly Visenya. He walked to his wife and placed his hands on her bump, trying to calm down his breathing and heart rate. Brella and Daeron had arrived late, waking the both of them. Visenya was in her night shift and Aemond was shirtless in his night trousers. Neither was expecting the news but Brella covered in blood was alarming enough to get their attention.

"Aemond, it's okay. We're okay."

"If your parents are plotting against us, they won't stop," he mumbled. "I should fly on Vhagar and just fucking kill them both."

"Brother, that's an awful idea. I heard Mysaria say that Talya was her only spy close to the castle. We need to be on high alert."

"Forever, Daeron? What kind of life is this if we can't even trust our food?"

Brella, shaking with fear, shook her head. "Let me worry about that. I will keep her safe, at least from the kitchen."

Visenya walked over to her and grabbed her hands. "Are you alright? I'm so sorry you had to do this."

"I'm ... it won't be long before they find the body. I'm sure someone saw me."

Visenya shook her head. "Don't even worry about that. I will make sure you never answer for that. You should take a bath, take tomorrow off. Don't you worry about a thing, okay?"

Aemond admired the care his wife had for Brella, she was practically family now. And based on the way Daeron was looking at her, that might be the case. But he knew his little brother wouldn't be dumb enough to marry a servant. He cared for Brella but the fact was, she wasn't from a noble house. He didn't even know her family name.

But Daeron was also young and Aemond knew young men sometimes only thought with one head and it wasn't the one on his shoulders. But he had to trust his brother wouldn't be stupid.

Aemond kept a protective hand on Visenya's bump, watching her breathing get heavy. "What is it?"

"Aemond," She said, grabbing his hands. "You can not freak out over every move I make. I am six months pregnant, I am naturally aching and uncomfortable. I am nearing the last trimester, things are just hurting. But I am okay. I am happy and we are healthy. Hear, feel."

She grabbed both of his hands and placed them over her bump so that he could feel them moving. Them. The thought of twins was exciting and terrifying. But feeling them move was naturally calming for him. It was an amazing sign of their good health.