48. Sweet Girls

When Visenya fought for her seat on the council with Aemond, she was expecting it to be a Great Council

She was mistaken. She was so mistaken.

Three years of pure boredom, fantasizing about how she was going to change things when she became queen. No one ever paid attention to the important things. They spoke of petty problems between lords but no one addressed the rising curve of starvation. No one talked about the leading rise in death because the common folk didn't have maesters or anyone to take care of them.

And it's not like she was even taken seriously. She was added to the council with no council of her own. No one stopped to explain things or help her, and if they did, it was in a demeaning way to make her feel stupid. Lord Lannister was the only one that didn't make her feel awful. He was sexist, sure, but he wasn't downright rude. 

She thought she would have an ally with Lord Beesbury seeming he liked Rhaenyra and was kind, but that was the exact reason he was rude to her. He viewed her legitimization as treason. So needless to say, he was never kind around her. 

Jasper Wylde dismissed everything she said on the basis of her lack of cock, Orwyle was just painfully loyal to Alicent, Criston Cole was ... well, that needed no explanation. 

"They say the Sea Snake is winning in his war against the Stepstones. An expensive war, I might add," Jasper said.

"Probably not nearing as expensive as the amount of wine Aegon has shipped from Lys," Visenya mumbled.

Aemond and Tyland snickered, and Visenya could tell that Alicent found it amusing. "I have never seen a prince consume so much wine, the cost of that is no such joke," Lord Beesbury commented.

"No, but apparently taking care of the dying children in our city is." Visenya deadpanned.

"Princess, we have discussed this matter. We do not have the resources necessary," Otto warned.

Aemond squeezed her hand under the table. They had both agreed to be complacent after the attack on the children. If Otto felt like he was losing control of Visenya, she was being too obvious. She needed to act dumb enough that he would not feel threatened.

"Right," She mumbled. 

"Remind me why she is here?" Lord Beesbury asked. 

No one responded at first. He was the only one not privy to the treasonous plans of installing her as queen. "Because unlike you, she remembers what she had for breakfast," Tyland spoke up with an uncomfortable laugh. 

Aemond frowned. "Did you even eat this morning?" He whispered into her ear.

She ignored him. "How come you do not ask Aemond that but you ask me, hm?" Visenya frowned. "I am the firstborn daughter to the heir, Aemond is merely a second son."

Lord Beesbury straightened his posture. "Your husband has more claim than you, or did you forget  your mother passed you in favor of your brother?"

Visenya tensed. "Trust me, I have not forgotten."