22. Individual Schemes

your guy's love and comments literally keep me going and the amount I get each chapter makes me happy to keep writing so I love ALL OF YOU

She rushed down the halls to the exit that led to Blackwater Bay, unable to be around Aemond one moment longer. She hurt him. She truly hurt him for the first time since she took his eye and she knew it. How was he beginning to like her already? Why was he the first one to show interest? It made no sense to her.

She walked up to her dragon and ran her fingers over his scales. He didn't move much in her presence, just basking in the sun that beat down on the shore. He was clearly tired from flying most of the afternoon, not budging for Visenya.

"You choose now to be difficult?" She groaned.

"They always do," Visenya turned to see Rhaenys descending the steps, clutching her hands in front of her. "He is marvelous."

"Thank you, Grandmother. He did enjoy that flight to Driftmark. I should fly him further more often."

"You should. You could fly to your new friend above the Iron Islands," She said with a small smirk.

Visenya rolled her eyes but laughed. "I would rather feed him to my dragon than ever hold another conversation with him."

"Well, if war ever breaks out between the greens and blacks, you can guarantee he will swear to the blacks. You and your husband embarrassed him. I would not have done any differently, however, just something to start keeping in mind."

"There will be no Team Green or Black. Not if I can help it," Visenya mumbled.

"And how do you plan on seeing to that?"

"This hypothetical war, it's over Targaryen succession. The Hightowers have no right to call their team the Greens. The Targaryen colors are black and red, it should be Team Black or Team Red. If I have to see another green banner hung in this castle, I will hang myself next to it. My mother and Daemon do not deserve that throne."

Rhaenys watched her with a tight expression. "And you do?"

"No, but I would do anything to make sure they never got it. The arrangement could make Alicent happy. It would be me on the throne with her son by my side."

"Did he put this idea in your head?" Rhaenys asked.

"He thinks I should be queen. But I think deep down, it was always there. But he doesn't know I have created my own secret agenda. If I can make peace with Alicent until then, make her trust me, then I would rid myself of her and Otto the second I am crowned. I don't want this for the crown, I want this for the things I could do to restore our house to its former glory finally. The Hightowers have ruined us."

Rhaenys had a shadow of a smile and nodded. "You are right, their ambition has blinded them. You could deceive them. You were sent here to spy, and I think you spied enough to learn a thing or two. You shall secretly have my support. But I can not make it known until the time is right. You still have much to learn and much to accomplish. You made Alicent quite angry earlier and that will not be easy to return from."