63. Claiming the Dragon

I would like to thank what_the_fawkes and alyssrivrs for assisting me on this chapter.

Vermithor's head was carted through the streets during Aegon's funeral. Word of the Queen's victory finally inspired the Red troops, but there was unrest in the castle. There hadn't been any council meetings, and Visenya and Aemond were quite isolated from one another.

Aemond wanted to speak to Visenya, but every time he opened his mouth, he felt vile words on his tongue. He wished to chastise her for her choices, for sending Aegon in the first place, and for sneaking off instead of sending him or more dragon riders.

Visenya sat before the fire, Vharra at her breast, staying silent. She wasn't the Visenya he knew, he felt like he'd lost his wife the same night he'd lost his daughter. Was there any hope of recovery? Was violence her only therapy?

He was shocked when he heard Grey Ghost was the one that dealt the damage to Vermithor, clawing open his belly and ripping a wing almost all the way off. Grey Ghost was mirroring his rider's emotions.

Vharra started fussing and Visenya walked her to her bassinet, gently laying her down.

"Can I hold her?" Aemond asked. Not that Visenya let anyone handle her. But he was her father, he loved her and he felt like he hadn't bonded with her yet.

Visenya hesitated, spinning her rings on her fingers. "Why?"

Aemond scoffed and stood up, setting his book down. "Because I am her father, Visenya, and you barely let anyone look at her."

"Because I need to protect her!"

"And you seriously think I am going to harm her, our daughter?"

She let out a huff and turned away from him, pulling the tie in her hair to let her braid loose. "So now you are ignoring me again?" He scoffed.

"Goes both ways, Aemond. You have not spoken to me since Aegon's funeral. Seven hells, I don't even know if you are mad at me, and if you are, why you would be mad at me."

He ran his fingers through his hair. "You really don't see it, do you?"

"Had I not gone, Aegon would have died without even hurting Vermithor. I won us that battle!"

"But maybe we could have saved him by sending a team of dragons, not some lone rider who snuck out! What is the point of having a council if you do not listen?"

"And you listen to me?" She asked. Despite their arguing, she still had an emotionless void in her violet eyes.

"I have done nothing but listen to you, Visenya, and you know that. I have followed you every step of the way, I have killed for you, and I have willingly watched my mother die for you. And I would do it all again if I had to, or if I could do something different to prevent us from being where we are."

"Then you should know I would run off again if you ever try to keep me from fighting this war."

He let out a spiteful laugh. "You are just like your father, and not the one that raised you!"

The silence blinded him. He expected to see some sort of anger or pain in her eyes, but nothing. He on the other hand, immediately regretted it.

"Vis, I am so sorry -"

She raised her hand and the sting of her slap rendered him speechless. She turned her back on him to leave the room but she felt his hand grab her wrist and he was pinning her to the wall with a shadow of a smirk, his eye drilling into her.