76. Trial and Reign

"I want a statement, not a shift."

"Yes, Your Grace," The seamstress nodded. "I have a perfect piece for you."

She unveiled a red gown with grey dragons stitched and shoulder pads that resembled large metal scales. The material felt like a silk corset and the skirts were soft velvet. The neckline and back dipped lower than what was deemed appropriate. The belt along the waist had a large dragon buckle front and center.

It was perfect.

"Perfect," She smiled. Aemond watched her from the settee, already dressed. He was clad in black leather as usual, but his doublet had the Targaryen sigil in red stitching. All members of her council were commissioned to wear red to long united and strong. Aemond made a compromise of having red on his black leather, heavens forbid he wear more color.

"And what jewelry?" Brella asked.

"The seastone necklace from my father," Visenya answered. "I also have a plethora of ruby bracelets and rings. I do not mind whichever ones."

Aemond watched with a content expression, always happy to see Visenya in the jewelry he got her. It was almost like a way of claiming her. When she covered herself in rings and bracelets he got her, she was wearing him all over her. The thought sent blood rushing to his cock.

"Actually, I also want that ring," She said, pointing behind Brella.

Aemond turned his head to see which ring Visenya picked out. A silver band with a ruby and sapphire.

The ring he got her after they learned she was pregnant with Elaena. Simple times, he thought in jest. Back when he was doing everything to gain her favor. That felt like a lifetime ago, so much had changed since then. He truly missed the walks he and Visenya would take with Aegon through the city. He never would have admitted it back then but he knew they were an inseparable trio.

The memories began to hurt as he felt a weight in his chest and tears burning his eyes. Aegon never wanted the throne or to rule, he was content with a free life around the castle. He did not deserve his end, but Daemon and Rhaenyra made sure as many people as possible saw their end.

Aemond stood up and walked to the balcony before he started crying in front of the women, but his tears were inevitable at this point. His chest tightened as memories flooded his mind, trying to hang on to every word Aegon had said to him.

"I catch him staring much more often and he has gotten jealous. When I was teaching her how to dance, he couldn't even watch. He will deny it and make excuses but I see the truth. Despite your hatred, you have started caring about her. And these past two days she has been hiding, you have been disappearing and a kitchen maid saw you grabbing hot tea. You don't drink tea."

"Do you think Helaena would adore a necklace or bracelet more?"

"I still can't believe you did that from pleasing her. My little brother, a true giver."

"Seeing ... it just really disturbed me. It made me do a lot of thinking. I have taken Helaena for granted, and if she were to die in this war, I would regret a lot of things. Being a bad husband and father being one of them."

Aemond clenched his fists, thinking back on hundreds of memories.

"My love," Visenya said, standing behind him and wrapping her arms around his waist. She rested her head against his back and held him close.

"I do not know if I can do it, Visenya. I look at her and it makes me want to rip her apart for everyone she hurt. We did not lose as many people as she did but she took people of importance! I would trade so many people to have them both back!" He hissed through his tears.