52. Dread on the Horizon

The larger her belly got, the more the twins got obsessed with it. They constantly talked about their new baby sibling. It was making Visenya realize just how much time was passing and how fast it was passing. The twins were now five! She was getting whiplash with how fast life was moving. At least this pregnancy was not suspected to be twins.

And with all the peace and happiness she felt, there was impending doom. Each day the feelings worsened and she woke up feeling dread, like danger was only minutes away. And maybe it was.

"How many more months before baby sister?" Laenora asked.

"No, it's a boy!" Maegor argued. 

"We do not know yet, do we?" Visenya reached for the bowl of grapes next to the lounge chair she was in, enjoying the sun by the gardens. Her ankles were swollen but she wanted the sun, so Aemond did what any husband would do - he ordered a group of servants to move a set of lounge chairs outside for them. But she didn't expect Aegon to follow them like a lost puppy.

"Whatever it is, I shall love it like my own," Aegon teased. 

"You don't even love your own," Visenya rose a brow. 

"That's not true, I love them. But like nephews because the rumor used to be that Aemond fathered them and -"

He didn't have a chance to finish before Aemond threw his book and hit Aegon right in the face. Maegor and Laenora found it hilarious, laughing and giggling. Maegor moved to sit with Aemond and planted himself in Aemond's lap. "That was funny, Papa."

"I thought so," Aemond smirked.

"I didn't, Aemond." Aegon glared.

"Exactly, how could you treat the father of my children so poorly?" Visenya asked Aemond.

"What?" Laenora's lip trembled.

Visenya pulled her daughter into a hug and tried to hide her laugh. "It was just a jest, sweet girl. No one else is your father. Uncle Aegon is gross and smelly anyways."

That cheered Laenora up and she nodded. "Yes, he is. Super stinky!" She giggled.

Aegon rolled his eyes. "Why do I spend time with you lot?"

"Because Mama says we like you more that your own Mama and that you crave validation and -"

Aemond covered Maegor's mouth before he could say anymore and Aegon's jaw dropped. "So is this pity attention?"

"Aegon, if I spent time with people out of pity, I certainly would not allow them a place on my council. You are my brother and despite your foolishness, you are entertaining. Probably because of your foolishness."

"What exactly is his role on your council, what does Aegon have to offer?" Aemond asked.

"My cupbearer," Visenya teased.