67. Find Peace

Visenya walked through the corridors, blood dripping from her hands. People were speaking, but her ears were ringing and she heard nothing. Luke fell when he heard of Joff's death. Laenor stumbled when he heard of Corlys' death. Rhaenys was strong but even she had a hallow look behind her eyes. Her husband an granddaughter were gone.

And Aemond was injured.

He was unconscious in the infirmary, Maester Munkun tending to his wound. It would not be fatal, but Visenya's heart was racing at an unhealthy pace with the fear she felt on the flight back.

She was trying to stay by his side, but Munkun insisted he needed space. She decided going to Vharra would give her some peace of mind.

She entered the nursery and allowed Ser Arryk to stand guard outside the open door and dismissed the nanny. She lifted her daughter and let Vharra sleep against her chest as she sat in the rocking chair.

"Boy, this is a mess."

Visenya turned her head, her mouth falling open when she saw Aegon.

"No.."

"That's all you have to say to me, sister?"

"No," She whispered and closed her eyes. "I am going mad."

"Maybe. But you have to admit, you have missed me."

Visenya kept her eyes clenched. "I miss you ... so much," Her lips trembled as tears escaped her eyelids. "Every day something reminds me of you, every day I am haunted with the fact that I could have saved you. You were my best friend, Aegon, and now a child will be raised without knowing his father. I miss you, you stupid cunt."

"You always knew how to make a man feel loved," He snickered.

Visenya finally opened her eyes, thinking he would be gone, but he was still there. Had she gone mad? Was she losing herself in her grief? She had endured more pain in the last four months than anyone should, and yet some people endured worse.

"We did have a good thing going, huh? I remember the first night you came back to the capital, you were such a timid thing. At first I wanted to throw you to the wolves, or my mother I suppose, and let you suffer so that I could get some reprieve. But I saw a little girl that looked like she'd seen a ghost and I actually felt bad for her."

"Gross," Visenya mumbled with a hint of a smile.

"I know," Aegon rolled his eyes. "It made me feel all gross. Until I made a crude joke to get my mother off your back and I saw you laugh. Helaena and Aemond never laughed at my jokes. And I knew you were terrified of Aemond. He always thought I was in love with you, but I wasn't. I just wanted someone to laugh at my jokes. No one ever realized I just wanted a friend in a castle full of adversaries."

Visenya wanted to reach out and grab his hand, but she was afraid he'd disappear. "You were such an ass when we were children, but when I came back, you were just something else. It was like you went from being the top dog to just a pained boy. You never made me feel unwelcomed. You were my brother, Aegon, I loved you."

"You helped me become a somewhat decent version of myself. For that I am grateful. Ameond was too much of a stick in the mud to truly get along with me."

"Then I am happy to get the best version of Aemond. He loved you in his own way, you know? He misses you. He liked talking to you, you are a good listener. Were, I suppose. He appreciated you. He loves Daeron, I know he does, but Daeron will never be you. You are who he misses most. I think you underestimated the impact you had on us, Aegon. As much as I miss Laeny, I have never hallucinated her."

"You just miss my devilish good looks."

Visenya snorted and looked back at Vharra. "I want Maegor to wed Jaehaera. I want your blood to carry on, Aegon, because you mean something to me. I want us to share grandchildren, I want you to live on. You ... your death made a hole in soul next to where Laeny was. You two, I just can't -"