49. The Weight of Fate

I noticed some people were shocked about the time jump. I won't do another big one but I am at 49 chapters, I need to get to the Dance. I want the twins to be 5 for the war so we are a little less than two years and I expect to get through that within a few chapters.

It wasn't a good day, it wasn't even a bad day

It wasn't a good day, it wasn't even a bad day. It was an awful day. Aemond woke up after Visenya and her breath already smelled of wine. He knew she was at a rough point of her cycle, he tried to keep track so that he could prepare tea when she was cramping. But this was different. All day had been difficult.

"Would you just fucking eat the porridge, Visenya?"

"I told you, I am not fucking hungry!" Visenya yelled drunkenly, throwing the bowl at Aemond. He ducked at the right moment and the bowl shattered against the wall.

"I swear, if I had a golden dragon for every time you have thrown something at me during our marriage, I could sail away to Lys and be a fat and rich lord!"

"Well, maybe you should, Aemond! Maybe you should leave and marry some Lyseni whore and rule some fucking Lysene farm!"

Aemon sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. "I get you are on that part of your cycle where you get all ... flustered, but this isn't like you, Vis."

Visenya finished the rest of her wine and slammed the cup down. "What is like me, Aemond? A dutiful princess that gets shit on? What the fuck is the point of any of this?"

"Your speech is slurred and you are drunk, we are not fighting right now. I don't even know how to help you if you can't tell me what's wrong."

"Why do you want to help me, Aemond?"

He scoffed. "Why? Do I need to list off every reason I love you, every little thing that irritates me beyond relief but that's okay because I live for you? I will do it Visenya, don't be a brat."

"Fuck off," She mumbled.

He grabbed her wrist. "No, you don't get to walk away all self-loathing. I love you, Visenya. I love the way you nervously twist your rings, I love how when we lie together you run your fingers through my hair. I love it when your smile and laugh on the rare occasions you do. I wish you could see yourself the way I do because maybe then you will love yourself."

She blinked her tears away but before she could respond, someone knocked on their door. "Princess, Lady Ellyn has started her labors."

"Fuck, I promised I would be there. I can't help her if I am drunk."

Aemond watched her. "I don't think you need that on your plate right now, my dear. You get mean when you drink. Ellyn doesn't need that."

"I promise my baby brother I would be there for him. He needs me Aemond, we are alone."