Episode 28 : how should i grieve?

"It's... earlier than i wanted,.. but i can finally die now." Invoker somehow smiled in front of me and Pettel. Smiling the same way Strife does that's completely forced yet looks so natural.

"How did this happen?" Pettel was seething above me while i stayed prone on the floor, unable to stand. The aether within his body was waiting to explode out at any given moment. "Who. Did. This?" Pettel asked again, now with the aura of a monster rather than a man as grief filled tears streaked down his face.

I said nothing. If i said anything it would have felt like i was passing the blame and avoiding the consequences.

"Elysia's new boyfriend." Thorn spoke aloud and Pettel's bone chilling gaze landed on the black raven. "Raptor rushed out to try and save Elysia, Invoker appeared saving Raptor from a bind. Then the god broke Raptor's teeth and threw a knife into Invoker's chest. Prophet tried to save him before the wound got any worse but Elysia fried her eyes before they ran away in a ship." The raven sighed and the silver embers from his nape mellowed. "Turns out love is fickle in the face of desire."

"Only when the person is beyond mercy." Tightening his fist Pettel dug his nails into his palm leaking blood onto the floor. Softening his gaze the kralscell of ash asked a question to the dying homunculus, "Invoker, is there anything you wish you could have done. I'll fulfill your final wish. I promise."

Still smiling despite the blood leaking down his lips Invoker replied, "I'm a homunculus, old friend. You know i have no real heart.... to have desires with. Fulfilling a wish for me is something you can't... do." Panting tiredly Invoker was managing to hold on to talk to his friend of sixteen-thousand years a final time. "You had to know... i only wanted death, Pettel."

"Yes. I did. But... i hoped you would die somewhere more vibrant. Not this cold place." Kneeling down Pettel took Invoker's hand in both of his. "I'll follow you soon."

Watching the two say goodbye i could only wonder. What must it have felt like to watch the man you knew better than yourself die in front of you? What was it like to have your relationship crumble because of a single mistake? Is it worse than being betrayed by someone you thought who loved you?

"Don't... just hate,.. Pettel. I was a failed weapon created to kill you, yet we became friends. If my words hold any weight now... i think, the memories i have with you, were the happiest moments. Of my... life. I'm glad... i... lived... with you." Shutting his eyes Invoker died with a smile on his face.

I did not know how to react. Invoker was talking to us just fine before but now... he can't talk at all.

Neveah was just as shocked as i was and she pulled Invoker's dead body closer to her chest, hugging him tightly as she sobbed tears onto the homunculi's dry hair.

Resting down Invoker's hand gently atop his chest Pettel was deathly silent. If i looked up to check on him i feared that he may kill me as i weeped for the man whose death was entirely my fault. I didn't need to look into Pettel's eyes to know that he is being driven by pure unadulterated wrath right at this moment even as he cried himself.

If he killed me... I'd have no qualms with his choice.

Prophet looked down at Invoker's dead body in silence along with, Thorn, Pettel and i. The only sound filling the room was Neveah's quiet wails of tears as she sniffed her nose and wiped her eyes repeatedly while Pettel and I cried silently next to each other and Thorn hid his face behind his wing but was unable to hide the tears dropping beneath him.

"Raptor..." Pettel broke the silence as he stood up. If he wanted to kill me, i'd give him his satisfaction. "Elysia betrayed us and is the root of all this. I hope you won't try to stop me." Turning away Pettel did the unexpected and headed off. Ignoring me completely.