56 / Performance (Chicago)

"Hello Stay!" Summer spoke, on stage, alone. This was before the performances of Muddy Water and Waiting For Us, "Its so crazy to be here and see all your lovely faces." Summer smiled, "Tonight I will sing a little bit for you, before the boys take the stage." Cheers were heard everywhere, "When I was 15 or so I was a new fresh trainee and I was laying in my dorm looking for some videos to watch on YouTube. And I found this one song by a small artist. I listened to it and I started to cry." Aweees we're heard all around the venue, "Not because the song is very sad. But because the song was sung so beautifully. I even learned how to play it on the ukulele." She spoke, "Id like to sing this song for you all, but before I do, I want to mention how proud I am of this artist for becoming more and more popular over the years. This, everyone" She was handed her small ukulele from a staff member, "Is Lovesick Boys by Conan Gray." Cheers were heard. She sat down on a little stool that was brought out along with a microphone stand. She started to strum the ukulele.

"Oh she's going to be so great at this song." Jeongin spoke from the dressing room.

I was alone for a while
You came along and you asked me for a smile
I guess then the stars had aligned
A flower bloomed
The clouds were rushing out of my mind

The small smile she had on her face as she sat on the stool playing her ukulele was beautiful. She looked so beautiful.

Well the lovesick boys will write you love songs

Minho watched her fingers strum the ukulele so delicately. Her voice radiated the same delicate feeling. It was enough to almost bring him to tears. He didn't want to love her, for her sake, for Jisung's sake, for everyone's sake. He didn't want to, but oh how he loved to love her. He felt bad for everyone else, but sometimes you have to be a little selfish if it's something you really love.

And the lovesick girls will always listen

Meanwhile, Jisung was crying. He would never admit it, he would never let any see it, but he cried. Maybe it was because of how badly he wanted to be with her, maybe it was because of how beautifully she sang, maybe it was how perfect she looked, or maybe it was all of those combined.

But what you fail to see there's plenty of us

Hyunjins eyes were filled with tears as well. He knew he loved her. He always knew. But this solidified the feeling. The way she sang felt like walking on clouds, so light, so dreamy. He wanted nothing more than to listen to this as he fell asleep next to her, every night for the rest of forever.

So keep your petals pointing towards the sun

Chan felt nothing but proud. God he was so proud of her. He cried because of how far she came. Summer had a natural talent for singing, but there was no denying how far she'd come. He'd always known he chose the perfect girl for their group, he just regretted not doing it sooner.

And bloom

Felix had his jaw on the ground. She was so fantastic. None of them knew this was the song she would preform tonight. I don't even think the staff knew until right before the show. She just did it, she practiced on her own time. He knew she did it for Stay, just like she did everything for them. Just like all of Stray Kids did everything for them. Summer went to extents to learn new languages. To learn to play instruments all for them.

Bloom

Jeongin didn't have any thoughts. The only thing in his mind was her sweet voice. And it was all he wanted in his mind. He felt so lucky to know her, to be able to see her everyday, to call her Noona. She was apart of their group, she was with them. No competition like when they were trainees. Jeongin was happy for that. He never wanted to compete with her. Maybe because he thought he could never really win.

Bloom

Changbin, her biggest hype man, even sat there in awe. Not jumping around, not adding in random adlibs like he would do in the dressing room just sat there with his eyes glued to the screen. She didn't usually sing like this in a lot of their songs, she sounded a lot deeper and heavier as she sang to blend in with the boys. But now she sounded so flowy and light.

Just bloom

Finally Seungmin. Thats his best friend. That's the same girl that passed out with him on the couch after they partied all night. That's the same girl that stays up with him and watches movies. That's the same girl that he sees every morning still fully asleep because she rarely ever wakes up on time. That's Summer. That's Haeun. That's Liane. And he loved her.

Just bloom

They all sat there, just to listen. No one refused to talk or move before the song was over.

You watch as he walks through the fields
Crushing pretty daisies under his heavy heels
He picks you a big one, it withers in the sun
You notice that the flower is you.

She opened her eyes to reveal they were glossed over, her own singing was getting to her. She laughed a little

And I know that he has a charm
To sweep you off your feet and wrap you around his arm
But he hurts you like crazy
He loves you, well maybe
But you are so much better than you know that you are.

She sang the chorus again and then the song came to an end, "Oh god that almost made me cry." She laughed a little as she fanned her face so the tears would go away, "Someone out there needed to hear that. Maybe it was all of you, maybe just one of you, but I could feel that someone needed to hear it." She smiled a little and cheers were heard, "Now enough of this sad stuff. Poster time!" She ran down to the center stage to get a closer look at some of the posters.

"Come on guys. We go on soon." Chan was the first one to speak after Summer stopped singing.

"Oh. Yea. Right." Lee Know stood up.

"I say we just have her sing that the whole rest of the night." Seungmin laughed as he walked out.

"I agree with that idea." Changbin pointed at Seungmin as he left.

Summer introduced the boys preforming Waiting For Us and then quickly went to the changing room to find the four boys completely silent, "Is everything okay?" She looked scared as she walked in, "Why are you all so quiet?"

"You're perfect." Jisung spoke. He turned around and she could see tears in his eyes, "That was the prettiest i've ever heard you sing."

"Oh Jisung."

"He's not wrong." Felix Hyunjin and Changbin all turned around. No one was crying more than Jisung but she could tell their eyes were all glossed over.

"Oh my goodness you guys. If you want I'll give you all a little concert back at the hotel. I'll sing it for just the eight of you." She sat down on the couch.

"Please. We'd all love that." Hyunjin smiled.

———

That night the only thing she saw on social media was about her cover of Lovesick Boys, so she decided to comment on it. Summer made a post of her in her hotel bed, with no makeup on making a heart with one hand the caption read, "All I am seeing everywhere is about the cover I did earlier today of Conan Gray's Lovesick Boys. I just wanted to say that i'm so glad all of you loved it and I was able to touch so many people's hearts (including my own group member apparently) STAY healthy and safe everyone ;)"

personA: She's so pretty without makeup

personB: I'm so lucky I got to see that live. love you Summer!

personC: I've been watching it over and over again on youtube

personD: I will sell my soul for you to release this cover on spotify.

A/N: If you have never listened to Lovesick Boys by Conan Gray I strongly recommend.