Seven

In the wailing siren a worker was busy making a racket to finish his quota. The crates contained miner tools on either table before her, but Joanna couldn't find time to look for one fully assembled. She wished she had a weapon to hold hostage the stocky man at work, though seemingly unaware of her presence. Joanne heard him mumbling an Australian accent.

"Well...I've got another to go, and I'm off to my break." He had a torch in one hand and a miner tool in the other. About to assemble another laser-pick up on a half round table bolt riveted through its scrap wood in steel legs, he nudged his head to flip down the visor, ready to attach the components of a miner tool.

He heard faint tapping across from his left. About to filet almost himself he dropped the torch and fear overcame curiosity as he turned to pull the half welded tool on Jo.

She jostled for the miner tool, then held on to it. Just missing her blue skirt, a singeing laser beam ran through packaged mechanisms.

"Not a trespasser...!" The man's blood ran boiled in rage, his voice muffled under a tinted full mask. "I don't have time for them!"

Joanna was intimidated by this man's prowess, he wore a black protective apron with thick crimson gloves and tall boots. When he almost ripped the miner tool from her hand, She fell into him, but she pulled back again to regain balance.

"Blimey, I heard about you, you're the American chick who lives in China working for the Mob, are you not?"

Joanne spat on his helm growling as a wild woman.

"You're not so tough now, are you?" He said to mock her. "Why would they send a woman to do a robot's job?"

"You can't touch me, you-fat-oaf, let me go, I can't believe you have me, you—!" Joanna couldn't speak another syllable as the laser pick was pulled away from her. "The Harbinger will avenge me." She said, then she raised her arms. "If you don't loose me he'll send every goon from Shanghai."

"Crime doesn't reward you like the Harbinger does," he said sinisterly, holding the miner tool on her, "you pretty lass. I'm barely holding my own, wishin' for all the high-class robot women and beer a man could have and to clear my recent gambling debts would delight me. When can I meet the Harbinger, tell me, or I'll have you caught."

"Calm down," Joanna nodded gracefully with a single wink. "You'll have your pay when you do your job."

Joanne precariously scrambled her eyes as if going into instant search mode where her hopes were answered, spotting the torch.

Before Clifford could continue his thought train he belted the miner tool while his opinion of Joanna changed from a Street Slug to an elite White Viper, but all was lost except a smile they shared together, even though he was disgusted to help a human.

A tumult of security guards thronged them, ranging from thin to brawny. The security chief with slicked black hair spoke while re-holstering his gun. "Arrest her! Another protester was caught trying to break through our net. Who's the man who caught her, speak up!" The guards with azure blue outfits and tight hats rigorously pulled Joanne's wrists back, cuffing them. They disarmed the engineer as well.

"Clifford Clayworth." The man lifted his full-helm to reveal a short gray beard and spoke with a glint of heroism. "You know well Sirs, I've worked hard to catch them red handed, the bums who are protesting on Ninety-second Street.

"Now this lass here she's...she's very clean, nice, and caught in a bad way if I do say here for myself."

The commanding guard countered in integrity: "upon my brief investigation of her identification, it was valid regarding our database, but it's very unusual that an employee of Lunar Life Corp would risk her life, for no reason at all, to walk freely into a spaceship emergency landing. I must follow up on this Mr. Clayworth whether you agree or not. Also—she was seen heading toward our chairman's executive building then hiding away, very uncalled for by Clayworth if I must prove so."

"She's doing no wrong!" Cliff bellowed with a whip of his helm on solid concrete as Joanna was dragged into custody.

Hoping Jo wouldn't ruin the biggest stage of the Harbinger's operation, Cliff could only watch her being pulled in the flatbed truck while removing his protective gloves, boots, and apron which momentarily revealed a shoulder tattoo with a nest of snakes inked teal. Clayworth jaunted across the cement lot to rescue her. Clifford thought it shouldn't be too much trouble to get her out of this mess. I'll help her to protect my new place in the Harbinger's organization. After Trevor is blackmailed like the others in the asteroid auction then the Harbinger will finally get to have the asteroid mining company he wants to share with the MLC chairman.

Joanna was safeguarded with a train of men behind her and only one in the front leading the troupe known as officer Blake. A security chief with slick black hair and a cigar ready to mouth.

"So...what's your real name," Blake said, lighting the cigar in her path. Joanne ignored him, only returning a cold stare as Blake nodded for her to be escorted in the truck. Guards resumed their active patrol posts, while Cliff watched the truck head off seeing smoke puff through an open window, he knew Blake was driving.

"Well?" Blake demanded, wheeling the vehicle out. "What's your name?"

Jo couldn't respond wondering about the outcome if she had escaped. If somehow, she thought. If she could've hot-wired this truck in time. But then no... thinking, I would never be a Black Viper that way, failing a job.

"There must be a way out!" Joanna said as Blake tried to grab her.

"No miss," Blake murmured, enjoying his cigar and paying attention to how he steered around the emergency vehicles. "You're going to jail with your brothers, like the protesters before you on Ninety-second Street.

"Let me see your dress," Blake said.

Joanna leaned against the passenger window so he couldn't touch her.

"If I find out you're a protester," Blake said, "your job is over, hear me!"

Joanne sat up looking over behind herself, seeing the central road-way which branched through the southern factories. Then, Facing the front windshield to see her destination, a nineteen story building and an arriving police hover car. There was a single route leading up into a northern fountain which was now brightly shining ten yards past the skyscraper near the front gate. The paved road was now clearly visible as was the large roofed garage to the east. It housed several vehicles from arriving workers.

The truck halted abruptly, and Joanna was guided up the high rise building's porch. She contemplated finishing this mission one way or another, hence, her career depended on it. The Harbinger wouldn't tolerate failure on the last stage of his operation.

Upon reaching the exterior glass paned doors, Jowas greeted by a fellow security guard allowing her through. An entourage ofseven security guards before the chairman of Lunar Life Corp with his bodyguardforesaw the arrival of Joanna, Blake, and two police officers. ReceivingJoanna's company, chairman Trevor Trahern heard Joanne's plea. As Joanna walkedin, she saw the corona of chandelier lights above a cloaked long haired manwavering at her to come closer. It was Trevor, he was in the center room of thesilver walled lobby; half an acre and a seventy-foot walk to the receptionist'sdesk, being hugged by security and police. Blake loosed Joanna. She strolledwith clicking sounds of high heels breaking the silence of quiet marble tiles.Trevor and Joanne awaited each other...Walking ahead to greet his guest: "Welcometo my estate, I'll have you know of your unwelcome intrusion." Trevor reachedto shake Joanna's hand but she refused the courtesy. "Your graceful walk almostmakes up for your suspicious behavior, wandering at my complex..."