Fourteen

Joanna went missing. Cliff was one of few to know her last whereabouts. Clifford was uneasy with Joanne meeting Mugg. Clayworth wanted to go with her, now that she's at the mercy of a nasty Black Viper. Or was it a ruse, using a poor old chap to run and split on him?

Cliff bit his lip trying to decide, remembering what Joanna said, you'll have your pay when you do your job. Still gambling greedy thoughts of illegal Shanghai casinos where he entertained the idea of winning thousands upon thousands of dia. Then with the bold confidence of Jo coming through for him, Clifford mocked Trevor, "a blasted idiot," as he started his after-hours quota.

At Lunar Life Corp Trev was busy talking up a blond-haired woman he trusted. He was a lady's man caring for the pleasures of pleasing women this night. Cliff took advantage of Trevor's carefree, trusting heart knowing only Ty and a couple of security guards believed Joanne was the thief.

"Ha, ha, ha." Clifford reveled in this situation laying out the components of a miner tool saying, "who could stop her and me?" Joanna would be the regional Black Viper leader she wanted to be. And I'll win myself a blimey fortune. Only the most renowned gamblers enter illegal Shanghai casinos, and I'm one of them."

It was the eve of a storm six hours from sunrise. Cliff watched two arriving police vehicles intently as he broke off for a moment from his welding and hammering. Then silently an unmarked patrol vehicle hovered up alongside his workstation. Clifford assumed grimly someone was piecing all the pieces of Joanna's crime into one puzzle, possibly Blake.

"Excuse me Sir," a man left his car running to meet Clayworth. "I have a few questions to ask you concerning an employee's absence." Cliff saw another officer eye him closely in the passenger seat.

"Is it true," he removed a note pad from his pocket, "you have a personal relationship with Lorena Brown?"

"No, but—" Clifford was interrupted by the long-sleeved gentleman tightening his hat.

"How long have you known her?" The security officer's voice rose intensely. Cliff paused for a moment as another question was thrown at him. "Did you talk to her on January the twelfth, and during the corporation spaceship's emergency landing?"

Clayworth shook his head hesitantly as the officer watched for shifty eyes and posture. "Aye, I've known her for a short while." A cold shiver ran up Cliff's spine and arms, crossing them tightly; he held his breath unable to exhale.

"There was a theft—" Clifford heard these words as if time stopped. Electricity ricocheted between his teeth only able to respond at the question's end. "—And Lorena Brown, our prime suspect, is now missing. We were unable to track her down. Are you a member of the Gangsters or with the protesters that were on Ninety-second Street?"

Cliff felt no way out, "blasting' no you bloke! I didn't steal anything the time I last saw her," the guard watched Clayworth closely, "when I left for home on January the twelfth."

The investigator's tone changed as he searched Cliff's eyes. "I have no more questions for you at the moment but be assured I'll be back." The blue suited man began to take his leave.

"What bloke's behind it?" Cliff blurted unintentionally.

The officer stopped to turn, removing his hat with a fresh scowl as if to question him all over again. "Who's behind what?"

Clifford added, "the investigation I mean."

The security guard spoke a single word deep inside Clayworth's soul, "Blake." Then a blue blur entered the vehicle, not wasting a second, driving off.

Relieving his anger with a bitter exhale. Cliff stomped his foot in rage, "I knew he was behind it!" Blake suspected Clifford was really a Mob member.