Thirtyeight

One of Admiral Logan's soldiers named Jack brought his pet dog along, a sheep dog, to help with the hunt, so he talked to Luke.

"This is a fine day for a hunt, Sir." He said, then he saluted the Admiral, Luke saluted him back.

"At ease soldier, I'll let you know if we need your dog, and thanks for bringing him along."

As the group of soldiers walked on the red sand, the Admiral told Jack to loose the dog when he spotted some turkeys with his binoculars.

"Get 'em boy," he said, and the dog shot out like a rocket, never looking back.

"Calm down, calm down—" Jack said as he took the feathery creature from his mouth, then he sent the dog to catch another one.

"Good boy, good boy," now only if we had some sheep."

Logan shook his head as he saw Jack's dog bite into another turkey with his now zoomed-in binoculars and he spoke to himself leading the group. "Those are not wild turkeys, no wonder his dog is catching them so easily."

The farmer looked angry and yelled at Jack and his dog. "I raised those turkeys and they're my pets, don't kill another one!"

Jack put his dog back on the leash and apologized that his dog will kill no more turkeys and he listened to the farmer when he said his name was John.

"You know, that's a three-hour walk to get to my farm," he forgave him and his dog. "Come in and I'll fix you lunch, I bet you all must be starving, we're having vegetable soup with biscuits and how would you like your coffee, Jack?"

"I like mine with cold cream," he said.

After Admiral Luke and his soldiers had lunch, Jack bravely asked farmer John if the crew could borrow some horses for their hunt to catch more prey for the many people in the Red Entaries apartments.

"We need many horses," he said. "But they need to be broken-in and not wild. What have you, farmer John?"

"Okay," he said. "Bring them back safe, not injured from those wild animals. You have four hours, tops, to bring them to the farm and once you're seated, I'll open the gate."

So, with that the crew set off on the hunt with the guns ready.

As one hour passed Logan told his men to cut down a coconut tree, then they were ambushed by gorillas when they got off their horses.

Half of the soldiers were now on horseback to protect the few who were now on their feet.

They had to shoot the apes to protect themselves and the horses. There was an immense amount of gorilla bodies and two soldiers cut down the coconut trees with plasma-knives for the citizens.

After two trees were down, they wanted a third, however; in the tree there was a man crying.

"Those apes were my friends," he said. "And the coconuts don't belong to you."

"Come down here, you hermit, and stop crying." Luke said.

The silver bearded man started to throw coconuts at the soldiers. "No," he said, "and the name's Wiggle."

"If you don't come down now, we'll cut the tree you're in—"

The hermit looked to have a distasteful taste in his rotten mouth. "Only if you help stop the cheetahs from killing the apes. Then I'll come down."

"Okay," the Admiral looked disappointed, where is this taking place, Wiggle?"

"It's at the Yerzby Dunes, north of here."

"Sorry for the mess Mr. Wiggle, we'll take care of it and bury the gorillas we killed too."

As the soldiers from the SSF rode forth to the dunes they didn't have to worry about sandstorms because they were in a protective dome that had no wind.

When they finally found the dunes, they started to shoot the cheetahs that were killing the gorillas just as he said they were.

After about thirty-minutes the killing stopped. There were only babies left which they let go free.

Now there was plenty of meat at Red Entaries to eat.

They first went back to Wiggle then to the apartments.

Admiral Logan showed all of the cheetahs to Wiggle, and he came down from the tree. He said he was once a soldier captain ten years ago when Red Entaries was first with soldiers, and he was glad to be a captain again.

The group had a snack from farmer John then headed out on another walk with no horses again.

The farmer gave the soldiers plenty of salt and ice to preserve the meat from getting rotten.

As they made it back to the apartments, they had plenty of cheetahs to cook and coconuts to eat.

The fellowship was full of food, and the soldiers took a rest, including Wiggle.

Trevor Trahern spoke to Rahden Sr. again, he said: "I'm broke Sir, can I be an employee in your company? I'll be a manager for your miners, it's my specialty. What do you say?"

"Yes—but you must help me win the asteroid auction Trevor, is that clear?"

"Yes Sir! Me and my wife will help, we need a job to pay for our apartment. That would fit us fine—we have experience.