Nineteen

Joanna Brown was notified of Trevor's survival.

She was on vacation when the horrific night went on, she couldn't bear to see Trev killed. It was more than luck that got him through the horror of last night. Joanne arrived at Mercy Hospital and began to talk to him after he was released from intensive care. He began to wonder; can she be trusted? Will she not strangle me in my sleep?

"I'm glad you're safe," Joanna said.

"Didn't you say you weren't coming back?" Trevor responded, ignoring Jo as he received a call from Eddy with his com. Ed clarified there were differences between Joanna and his secretary among other things. He even ignored Joanne's apology:

"I'm sorry Trevor, I'm sorry I ever walked out on you. Can we ever get back to the way things were? You know, like on our date."

Jo stepped back as Trev sat up in a rage. "Why didn't you ever tell me you had a twin sister—? And that you work as an FBI agent—? Is your real name not Joanna—?"

She opened her mouth in astonishment.

"That's the only reason you came back to me is because I'm not dead. Edward told me about the whole thing just now and how other companies are being blackmailed, and mine is next. He believes, Lorena, um, I mean Joanna, that you are trying to protect me," Trevor fumed, and his feelings were rightly hurt.

"I noticed your personality is different, Lorena was more carefree, but you're more mature, which is what I like about you."

"If you're not going to hurt me, then the cat is out of the bag," Joanne mumbled to herself.

"Trev, I like you too, but I don't know what you're talking about, I'm Lorena," Jo said, trying one last time to hold her cover.

"Fine," Trahern said, "if you don't tell me the truth right now, it's over, you'll never see me again."

Joanna walked away in the corner of the patient's room and began to fiddle with her com.

"Okay Boss," Jo said after a quiet conversation. "I'll tell him."

"Listen Trevor," Joanna came over to the patient's bed, "things got too personal between me and you, I just wanted to blackmail you, not harden your heart too. Now Laura Rains is a nice girl, you can date her, but, I want you to pay the blackmail, twenty-five billion, what the other companies on the asteroid auction list have paid, then you can get out of my hair if that's what you want." Jo smiled cleanly.

"Yes, I'm an FBI agent, but you can't tell no one, or you'll jeopardize the case," Joanne said evenly. "This thing is bigger than our relationship Trevor. Now, the mob is coming for both of us and we're dead and if I can't pull this blackmail ruse off." Joanna fumed when Trevor was playing with his com:

"This is my only chance to catch the man in the act who is behind it all. I used to work for his syndicate, but I drifted from that lifestyle a decade ago."

"I'm sorry that I tried to sleep with you, to blackmail you, to state you had prostitutes." Jo calmed down.

"So, that's why you wanted to sleep with me," Trev said, "so you can wreck my reputation that I slept with a prostitute, and you were going to ruin me feeding it to the media folk if I didn't pay the twenty-five."

"Get lost!" Trevor hid his head under his pillow, "I never want to see you again Joanna."

Joanne ignored Trevor as she released her com. She grabbed it tightly. "Okay, I'll give him time," she looked drawn-out-weeping, "and if the chairman doesn't pay the ransom Boss?"

"I can't believe the Harbinger is going to get away with it," she finished the loud conversation and walked out the door after she looked twice back at him.