Chapter 68

Angeline.
The darkness, I longed for it. I was so close to embracing it, had I not fainted. Perhaps that was God's way to prevent me from giving myself my own demise. But really, was God trying to help me? Or was God trying to make me suffer even more? Did God not understand that the longer I spent without Lucilia beside me was the greatest torture I'll ever endure? But why? Why would God allow Gilan to take my beloved? Why would God and the Moon Goddess allow this to happen? They knew we were on the right side, we fought for peace and harmony whilst Gilan fought for the opposite and yet.. I think I'm going crazy.

As I looked down, I felt my heart break into pieces. My love, Lucilia.. her eyes were closed, her lips slightly parted, her scars bleeding and yet she still looked like the most beautiful girl in the world. I longed to see her vibrant ruby colored eyes. Or kiss her soft and plump yet dangerous lips. I yearned to hear her deep yet sweet voice. But I couldn't do anything but to watch her hang desperately unto what seemed like the smallest glimpse of her life.. if she wasn't already.. gone. There was no heartbeat, no sign of life, nothing. Her usual golden skin turned pale, too pale for my liking. It hurt. So much. Once everyone leaves and I am left alone with my beloved, I will continue what I started. If the only options were to live in a world without you or to follow you into the afterlife, I would immediately choose the latter.

I looked at the sword pierced through my love. It was what Weiss described as what was keeping Lucilia alive. But would she still be considered alive if she had no heartbeat? I knew demons lived with hearts and souls, just like the angels so Weiss' statement perplexed me. But still, I hoped and believed her. Although there were more signs that my love had.. left me.. I'll still cling to Weiss' words, no matter how hopeless it may seem.

Recalling my thoughts earlier, I wanted to laugh sarcastically. If someone told me that I'd learn to curse and doubt god at the same time.. I'd call them silly. But at this point, nothing should surprise me anymore. Nothing will surprise me. Not even when Lucifer tried to convince us that he's actually Lucilia.

"What do you mean she's dead and that you're her?" Sapphire asked, a puzzled look on her face.

Lucifer groaned, "Fuck! I'm saying it as it is! I'm Lucilia, in Lucifer's body!" He then looked at me and his agitated expression immediately softened. His eyes roamed my face before settling on Lucilia's body. He sighed, "My darling, do you not recognize me? I may be in my foolish brother's body but this is I, Lucilia, your mate."

I smiled, just as I've stated, nothing will surprise me anymore. Although I don't trust Lucifer and I knew he's also capable of acting like Lucilia in order to make me vulnerable, I still smiled. There was only one way for me to believe him and in doing so will I also have the pleasure of seeing the person I hate most meet their demise. I've never liked violence but Gilan.. he opened a new side of me, one that I did not particularly abhor nor did I love but one that was essential.. or inevitable.

With my smile unfaltering, I looked at him in the eyes and spoke, "Lucilia.. or Lucifer, I will only believe you.. if you bring me Gilan's head."

Lucifer looked shocked by my request yet he did not decline. "I see this war has changed you, my darling.. I hoped to at least spare your innocence but it seems that I've failed." He then faced Gilan who was still frozen in shock.

"But you didn't have to ask, I would've killed him either way."

Gilan, finally getting back to his senses, glared at Lucifer, "I killed your sister, Lucifer. Acting like that wretched demon will not make things better."

Lucifer chuckled, "You killed my body but you can never touch my soul." With that, he pulled out his sword and began attacking Gilan.

Eva and Vaye looked at each other, "We need to fight with him.. or her." Vaye stated, to which Eva nodded in reply. The two then began attacking Gilan as well.