Rising Queen: Chapter 10

Angeline.
I knew where Lucilia was. I knew her more than anyone did, maybe even more than she did so I had an idea on her whereabouts. Besides that, she was a human now so she couldn't have gone far and there's this place that she really liked in Vaye's castle. It was the fireplace in the training arena. It had a view of the training ground and Lucilia told me that she liked how she was looking down at people and watching them fight until they were bloody. Thankfully, the arena wasn't too far from the dungeons so I didn't have to ask for a ride. Truly, Vaye's castle was like a city itself.

Once I reached the training arena, I went inside and used the elevator to get to the highest floor. The room containing the fireplace was on the highest floor and was in the middle of the hallway. When I reached my floor, I got out and didn't waste any moment. I ran to the fireplace room and opened the door. And just as I've expected, there sat Lucilia. She was alone and her head was in her hands. The only sounds were the screams of the soldiers below and the crackle of the flaming wood.

I closed the door behind me and approached her. Without a word, I sat beside her and sighed. The two of us just sat there, not speaking. I wasn't sure if Lucilia realized that I was beside her but I wanted to make sure that she was ready to have a conversation so I did not utter a single word.

I watched the fire before us. It was dancing to its own rhythm as it burned the wood beneath it. The fire was red, scorching hot and extremely dangerous yet utterly astonishing. I didn't know what it was but the way the fire danced with the help of the wind, the way you could hear the wood and sticks crackle and pop, and the way you could see why Lucilia liked this room..

The screams and violence from below symbolized her people. The demons who were always at war with each other. Their violence never ending thus their screams never truly faded in Lucilia's ears. Or it could be a symbol of all the souls that Lucilia has tortured. The sinners who were unlucky enough to have fallen victim to Lucilia's evil laughter. The fire, a common sight in hell, could be something as simple as home to Lucilia. The home she built, protected, and ruled. The home.. she had lost.. because of the war.. and myself.

I have never really moved on from that moment. When my blood rose and veins popped.. when all I could see was pain and revenge.. when all I wanted was Gilan's blood on my hands, nothing compared to when I saw Lucilia get stabbed. All because I wanted to talk to Gilan, to resolve the war with peace. I was so naive, so ignorant, and so foolishly righteous. It was one of my regrets. Had I not entered the throne room.. maybe Lucilia would have stayed a demon. I've yet to ask her how she feels about this. If she will despise me, I will accept it. I will accept everything she'll throw at me. I will do my best to gain her forgiveness.

"What are you doing here?"

"I didn't want to leave you alone with any self-destructive thoughts." I answered, still staring at the fire.

She sighed, "You need not accompany me. I am not weak." I tore my eyes from the fire and, instead, looked at Lucilia. Her dark blue eyes were stern and not wavering. There were no tear stains on her cheeks. There truly was no evidence that she was in pain.. but really, she was.. she was suffering. If I had not seen her eyes wandering, her mouth sighing, and her feet tapping, I would have believed her.

"You can fool everyone, Lucilia, even the most intelligent person in the world.. but not me."

She chuckled lowly, "It appears so."

"You should be thinking about your future instead of wallowing in my misery." She stated and stood up. She walked towards the window and looked down at the soldiers training.

"I do not enjoy seeing you in pain."

"Why?"

I smiled, "Simply because I love you."