Chapter 49: Heavy Rain

"Fu Lin!"

Xia Huaizhi ran to the original location and found that Fu Lin was no longer there. After circling around for a while, she finally saw him on a secluded bench and hurried over.

She asked anxiously, "Why weren't you waiting for me in the original spot? I almost couldn't find you. . ."

"I should have hidden," Fu Lin said self-deprecatingly. "After all, I am the son of a criminal, and it's inevitable that someone with extreme emotions would want to beat me up."

"You. . ." Xia Huaizhi asked tremblingly, "Do you already know?"

"Mm."

Compared to her, Fu Lin's tone was still calm. "I'm not surprised that he's this kind of person, but I didn't expect him to be so crazy."

The sun was obscured by dark clouds, and the wind gradually grew colder.

Xia Huaizhi took Fu Lin's hand and said, "Let's go back. It's cold outside."

"Mm." On the way home, Fu Lin remained silent and showed no emotion on his face. She could sense that something was wrong, but every time she asked, he would just say "I'm fine," and she could only silently accompany him.

Despite saying that he was fine, not long after they arrived home, Fu Lin caught a cold and began to run a fever.

He was already sensitive to the cold, and now he was shivering even more, even when he put on more clothes. Because he was pregnant, he couldn't take fever-reducing medicine, so he had to rely on physical cooling.

Xia Huai Zhi took care of him in every detail, and he would even frown if she didn't ask about something.

After finishing wiping him down, he grabbed Xia Huai Zhi's clothes and weakly said, "You can go now, don't worry about me."

"Go?" Xia Huai Zhi asked in surprise, "Where should I go? To the next door?"

"What I mean is. . . you don't have to take care of me anymore."

"I am the son of a criminal, and in the future, I may have to bear the burden of a lifetime of shame. I don't want you to be involved, your future should be bright."

"What are you talking about?"

Xia Huai Zhi was quite angry, her chest heaving, "Do you think I'm the kind of coward who abandons their family in times of trouble? Who exactly are you looking down on?"

Fu Lin withdrew his hand and said, "I'm sorry."

"This won't happen again," she said fiercely. "If you ever say something like that again, I'll. . ."

She trailed off, unable to come up with a threat, and reluctantly closed her mouth.

Oh well, Fu Lin didn't seem like the type to be threatened anyway, so it was probably pointless to say anything.

She gritted her teeth, wishing she could drag him to the civil affairs bureau right now to get their marriage certificate and stop him from saying such hurtful things.

But he was still running a fever. . .

After tucking him in, Fu Lin slept from the afternoon until evening, and his temperature finally went down a bit.

Xia Huai Zhi cooked him a bowl of rice porridge and brought it to the bedside to feed him, but he snatched the bowl away.

"I can do it myself."

He scooped up a spoonful of porridge, blew on it a few times, and when it was cool enough, he put it in his own mouth. Hearing Xia Huai Zhi's stomach growling, he asked, "Haven't you eaten yet?"