Chapter 32

"Nick?!" Melissa asked. "Nick who?"

I realized I've never mentioned Nick to Melissa or Andy before. So I told them about my meeting with Nick yesterday, and that I'll be meeting him again later. We all woke up early just to have a fancy breakfast at a cafe because we feel like it. It was Andy's fault.

"Remember when we went to the beach and then I went to get some coke from the bar? There was a drunk guy there and Nick saved me from him??? Remember?????" I said, looking at Melissa expectantly.

Andy rolled his eyes. "You mean the beach trip you didn't invite me to?"

I looked at him apologetically.

"Oh! I remember." Melissa grinned. "The one who made Luke jealous."

I nodded, looking down.

Andy glared at her. "Did you really have to mention Luke?"

"Oh. I'm sorry." Melissa muttered.

"Speaking of Luke," I straightened up from my seat and took a deep breath. "I told him last night that we should talk."

Suddenly, the two of them seemed very interested.

"And??" Melissa waved her hand, urging me to go on.

"He agreed. He said we could meet today, at my flat..." I bit my lip. Last night, I couldn't go to sleep thinking about what may happen. It's all I could think about. Luke. Luke. I sighed.

Andy frowned. "I thought you're gonna watch a movie with that Nick guy today."

"Oh shit." I gasped. I hadn't thought about that. I was so focused on seeing Luke that I forgot to tell him about Nick.

"That's okay." Melissa shrugged. "I mean, you could just tell him that you'll meet Luke. He'll understand."

My classes are only up until 2 PM today, so maybe I could have Nick over for a bit. Luke won't arrive until 6. So we could still put on and watch a movie he was talking about. "Never mind. I've got it covered." I said. I'll just text Nick later.

"What happened with Luke?????" Andy asked. "Was that it? He just agreed?"

I stayed quiet for a while and watch the disappointment in their faces. I nearly laughed, but the moment was too serious. "No." I shook my head. "He asked me how I was. Of course, I said I'm fine, I guess. Then I asked how he's doing. And he said whatever Calum said was probably true. So I said the same thing. I'm pretty sure Calum told Luke about everything."

"Then??"

I hesitate for a bit. "He... he told me he missed me." I bit my lip. "And suddenly I forgot I was supposed to be moving on from him. It's just.. he makes it so much harder." I hear my voice crack.

"Oh, Sydny..." Melissa put her hand above mine.

"I made him stop. Then he started on saying sorry over and over. He said, why does he always screw things up? I said, because he's Luke. And then I let it slip. I told him I missed him too. But I said that I just told him that because he said it first."

"And, of course, he knows you're lying." Andy said.

I nodded, smiling, but there were tears in my eyes. "Then when we said good night, he sent me his usual goodnight text. He didn't mean to. It was out of habit. And I just.. the flashbacks." I let a teardrop fall, but I wiped it away quickly. "What's worse is that I felt like it was almost like before. It was almost like how it used to be. And I just keep forgetting that we're over... It sucks. Sucks to love like this."

I fought back the coming tears because Andy and Melissa were both looking at me sympathetically. I hate it.

I took a deep breath. "So, yeah... That's that.