Chapter *

* Somewhere between Chapter 53 and 54
.

.

.

Luke's POV

11:45 PM

She's not inside, or Grace is shitting me.

But it can't be. I know she's been here. I know she's walked this hallway dozens of times, touched that knob dozens of times. I just know. I could even smell her pefume in the hall, it hurts.

If she's not here, where would she be? Not in that dinner, because I bet that place is full of those self-righteous people who touches the wine glass with just the tips of their fingers and lightly dabs the table napkin on their mouths even if the only thing they ate are biscuits. I'm not hating on them. I'm just saying Syd won't be with those kinds of people.

She definitely won't be in the streets, where there's a lot of people and it's suffocating. This isn't right.

I texted Melissa and the boys, asking them for ideas. It's about 3 in the afternoon in Sydney. Hopefully she's awake. I feel so helpless.

I walked up and down the empty hallway. The sounds of fireworks going off could already be heard, growing more and more frequent by the minute. I feel anxious. I texted Lou, trying to ask her for Sydny's number. If she changed her number, she won't recognize mine. It won't be registered on her phone. I doubt so.

My phone vibrated. It was Michael who replied first.

Michael: Maybe she's not in New York lol. Try the alps.

Of course I ignored that.

Ash: I don't think she likes to be where there are many people, dontcha think?

Calum: Not in the streets, I guess. Maybe in a dinner party with a friend.

Lou: if you do find her, dont tell her i gave it to you. Sydny Green (1-xxx-xxx-xx3)

Melissa: Luke, she mentioned something about wanting to watch the ball drop and the fireworks too.

I saved her new number on my phone, my finger hovering a little too long on the call button. If I call her, what the hell will I say? I might say something wrong and make things worse.

I sighed and thanked each of them. Not in the streets but she wants to see the ball drop, and wants to see fireworks too. Where the hell will you be able to do those things besides the streets? I doubt she made any new genuine friends that invited her to a party. And even if she was invited, I doubt she'd go.

My phone vibrated again.

Lou: she has to be there. My friend who was babysitting Lux said they met her. She was on her way there when they parted. That was about an hour ago.

Luke: but she's not in her room

Lou: maybe in the other parts of the hotel. Idk.
Lou: I gotta go. She'll be there.

I groaned, wanting to throw my phone out the window.

"Excuse me, sir. Everything okay?" A man's voice said.

I turned around. One of the hotel staffs was walking towards me. He was carrying a couple of small portable heaters.

"Um, no. Everything's fine." I answered, waving him off. He just smiled and started walking away without another word.