Chapter 51.

HI I AM SO SORRY... again. I was writing the Calum fanfic AND IM EXCITED FOR IT. SOOO yeah.

Anyway, enjoy. I love you all loads.
.
.
.

After days of not eating properly and not being myself, the contents of my kitchen are still sort of complete. Luke and I decided to cook for a change. He's getting tired of pizza, he says, after having it for dinner for almost every day for the past week.

"So what can you cook?" I asked him, making him reach up for the spices at the top shelf.

Luke just shrugged. "Well, you know, I could always combine water with the Campbell soup."

"Oh please," I laughed. "Just help me out here. It should be easy. The only meat I have are salmon fillets, so you're gonna have to settle for fish instead of grilled steak. But I could cook some alfredo pasta."

"Can't really complain. I'm not cooking." He said, placing the last of the ingredients on the kitchen counter. "Also, since when did you learn how to cook like this?"

"Andy." I answered.

Luke raised an eyebrow.

I rolled my eyes. "Do you really think all Andy and I ever talk about are boys? And also, it's fun hanging out in their kitchen when his mom is cooking. She's an excellent cook."

"Oh right, Dina! Yeah, I remember."

"Yeah!" I looked at him. "I forgot you've already met her."

Luke nodded, opening the can of soup. "New Year's Eve last year."

"Yeah, I know." I said. "It just feels like it's so long ago. A lot has happened since then."

I found myself shocked. Everything's happening so fast. This time last year, we were on the plane to Sydney. I was about to meet Luke's family for the holidays. I was bat-shit scared but it felt good. And now, I don't know.

Luke didn't reply. He just smiled at me briefly before continuing what he was doing.

He started singing out some songs while we were preparing. I missed hearing Luke sing. I didn't even dare interrupt him. He seemed so light and easy-going tonight. I wish it was the same for me. But there's something on the back of my head that's been telling me that after this, it's going to be another whirlpool of pain.

"Last chance" was what he was asking for. And here I am, giving it to him. But either way, I know the ending's going to be the same. Well, might as well just enjoy whatever tonight is. Who knows, it might be the last...

.
.
.

"You know, my mother told me, if a girl knows how to cook, she can marry," Luke said, taking another bite of the salmon. Honestly, it turned out better than what I was expecting.

I laughed, "Liz isn't wrong."

We were on the balcony, just sitting on the floor and eating our meals. This is the closest we could do to a romantic picnic date. The cool breeze blows around us. Only a week more and it's going to be Christmas. Almost a year ago, Luke and I were still together, enjoying the holidays in Sydney, making out in front of my parent's grave, just enjoying each other's company. But now, I don't even see that happening. It scares me how much a year can change in our lives. It's crazy and amazing, yes, but also, very terrifying.

This time next year, I might be successful. I might live some place else, or be constantly travelling. This time next year, I know there would be a lot of people that I know whom I haven't even heard of now. At that time, a lot of things are going to change. It's exciting what the future has in store for us. But it got me frightened. I mean, what if this time, next year... Luke and I won't even be talking to each other anymore. That's totally not something to be excited about.