Chapter 42.

HI.

.

"God, Sydny, you need to shop for groceries." Melissa groaned as she walked out of my kitchen with a bowl of chips. "Your fridge is almost empty."

I nodded, not looking up. "Well, I just got back home, so..."

"Uhh, it's been almost three weeks?" She said.

I just rolled my eyes. I know I'm typing nonsense words into my report. I'm just really not in the right mind to do this, but I have to. It has to be done at least tonight, so I could submit it on the day after tomorrow. The deadline is still on Wednesday, and it's just Saturday, but I don't wanna worry about this stupid report anymore. School works keeps on getting in the way of my plans.

"Anyway," Melissa said, "Why aren't you hanging out with Nick?"

"Why aren't you hanging out with Michael?" I asked.

"Because Michael is my boyfriend and I could be with him anytime I want, but instead, I'm hanging out with you because you're my friend." She said.

I looked up and frowned. "What? You could be with me anytime as well."

"Oh, forget it." Melissa groaned. "What's the status between the two of you, anyway?"

"Who?"

"Nick, of course." Melissa said.

"Friends?" I said.

"You don't sound sure." Melissa said, popping some chips in her mouth. I'm pretty sure she will just start on her report two days before she's supposed to submit it. That's why she's all so chill right now.

"We're just friends." I repeated, with more conviction. I don't know why I have to prove that I am sure. It's not like I don't want to be involved in a relationship with Nick. It's just that... I don't know. It doesn't feel right at the moment, I guess.

"Well, it's just that Michael saw you and him holding hands." Melissa smirked. "And Luke saw you too."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, I know. Luke asked me about it. And FYI, he didn't just see it. We ran into him. That's how he saw."

"Wait, so you ran into Luke while holding hands with Nick?" She said. "Man, this is much more interesting than I thought."

"Yeah, so?"

Melissa giggled. "That's like it came out of a TV show. How did you react?"

I closed my eyes. "God, it was so awkward. I don't even wanna remember."

"I can't imagine." Melissa laughed. "Wow. That must be hard."

"For who?"

"You. Luke. But mostly you." She said. "You literally have two guys who are both in your heart right in front of you."

I groaned. "In my heart? Really? And besides, it's not like it's the first time."

"You're right." Melissa shrugged. "But still. So what did Luke say?"

"He just said hi." I said. "You know, we were at the rooftop on the night of the party."

"So that's why we couldn't see you two." Melissa nodded.

"We didn't mean to meet there. I was just lookin for a quiet place, so I went up there. And he was there." I said. "Then he asked me about Nick."

"And??"

"I told him we were just friends." I shrugged.

Melissa paused, thoughtfully. "I wonder how it's like to be Luke."