Chapter 1

"There is a saying, when your love fails time and again, it's because that someone in the world out there has passionately prayed to God for you to belong to them, with every ounce of their being. And their prayers have been answered because their love for you surpasses your own..."

Ares Simon's POV:

As I exited the Knight's private plane, my personal assistant, Chase Ronald, rushed over to greet me.

"Sir, good evening! I have everything prepared according to your instructions. The clients have agreed to expand, and I've scheduled meetings with our investors to discuss future plans," he informed me. I nodded and took the file from him, checking the details.

"Also, we have hired a new executive assistant for you. She will start on Monday," he added. I nodded curtly, not particularly interested in the specifics, and settled into the back seat of my car. Chase took the driver's seat, and we began our journey.

"Office or mansion, Sir?" Chase asked.

"Office," I replied. He glanced hesitantly at me through the rearview mirror.

"Um, Sir, Mr. Knight requests your presence at the mansion as soon as you return, along with your mother..." he cautiously informed me. I sighed, massaging my temples. What is it this time? I gave Chase a nod to indicate that we would go to the mansion before heading to the office.

He turned the car toward the Knight Villa, briefing me on the office updates along the way. However, I wasn't in the mood for work. As the sky darkened, my thoughts drifted back to the time I spent in the US with Adira, recalling our last phone conversation before my return.

A Day Ago...

She answered the phone after two rings.

"Hey!" I tried to sound casual.

"Why are you calling my wife?" My face fell upon hearing the voice on the other end.

"Give the phone to Adira. I didn't call to listen to your ugly voice," I retorted seriously.

"You- who's it, love?" He was about to say more when I heard Adira's voice over the phone.

"It's no one, a wrong number, just a jerk! You don't need to worry, baby, I will talk to him." He replied quickly. I almost rolled my eyes.

"Jerk! Hah, I wasn't the one who left my wife without any explanation, not to mention, hurting her in the process." I replied sarcastically. Before he could retort, I heard Adira's suspicious tone over the phone.

"It's Ares, isn't it? Give it to me!" I heard some shuffling sounds before Adira took the call.

"Ares! How are you?" Her voice sounded cheerful. I could imagine her sparkling eyes and smile just from her tone.

I smiled softly. She was happy, at least.

"I'm good. How about you? I heard about everything. Is Atlas okay now? And what about the jerk beside you?" I asked, referring to Aiden. She chuckled softly, hushing her husband, who was probably right there, cursing me under his breath.

"We're all fine now, thank you for asking. The incident affected Atlas, but we're helping him, and Aiden will be discharged from the hospital in a few days too," she answered softly.

"That's good to hear. Atlas is a strong kid, and with your help, I'm sure he'll overcome this trauma," I replied.

"Thanks, Ares. I hope he will overcome this trauma soon- I want water," she couldn't finish her sentence before a sulking man beside her interrupted.