Chapter 39

Past - 21

Third Party's POV:

He released a cloud of smoke into the crisp morning air, his gaze vacant as he contemplated the day ahead. School wasn't something he looked forward to, but catching even a distant glimpse of her made it bearable.

In their usual secret smoking area at school, Sven waited for classes to end, anticipating the moment he could watch Elysia leave. Brey approached him, furrowed brows and a contemplative expression on his face, taking the cigarette from Sven's hand and inhaling deeply.

"Well, that was a shock," Brey murmured, shaking his head. Sven furrowed his eyebrows, giving him a questioning look.

"I saw Aubrey on my way here," Brey explained. Hearing her name, Sven lost interest in topic then and there.

"I told you not to take that witch's name in front of me," Sven scowled, returning his gaze to the distance.

Brey shrugged his shoulders and answered. "I just thought you'd be interested in knowing things related to Ares Knight."

Sven narrowed his eyes sharply at the mention of Ares. "Where did Knight come from?"

"I saw them kissing in the shared courtyard," Brey responded, extinguishing the cigarette. "Anyway, let's go to class; we're running low on attendance."

Sven froze, staring at Brey incredulously. "What did you just say?" Shaking his head, he asked again, feeling a need to confirm what he thought he heard.

"I said we're low on attendance—" Brey started, but Sven interrupted, seeking clarification and faced him, giving Brey his utmost attention.

"No, before that?" Dread filled Sven's heart as it started drumming inside his chest. He wished he had heard it wrong.

"I saw Aubrey and Ares, kissing in the shared courtyard. They seemed to be dating, probably," Brey stated matter-of-factly.

Sven's heart sank, the news hitting him like a blow. "Elysia," he mumbled in shock, fearing how she would take this revelation.

"Where is Elysia? Have you seen her?" Sven demanded, his crimson-grey eyes wide in horror.

She must not know about this!

"Bro, relax—" Brey attempted to calm him, but Sven was already losing control, gripping Brey's collar unconsciously.

"Brey, where is she? Have you seen Elysia?" Sven barked, desperation in his voice.

"No, I haven't," Brey answered truthfully. He hadn't seen Elysia while passing by the courtyard.

Sven's chest heaved rapidly, throat dry. He turned back to Brey, "Make sure this doesn't come out. Do whatever, I don't care, but keep it covered." Sven stated through gritted teeth before rushing downstairs to find Elysia.

"Bro, Sven—" Brey called after him, but Sven didn't listen. He needed to see Elysia. He needed to get her out of here before she hear about this sh*t.

With heavy footsteps, Sven barged into their classroom on the first floor, breathing heavily, searching for her. When he saw her seat vacant, his heart sank. Elysia never missed classes unless it was truly important. Everyone, including the teacher, paused, looking at him in surprise.

Just a glance at Sven's unusual demeanor, and Esme sensed something was amiss. Sven hastily exited the classroom, prompting Esme to follow suit without a moment's hesitation, leaving everyone puzzled.

She spotted Sven rushing down the stairs in a panic. With swift, practiced movements, Esme leaped off the corridor's railing and expertly landed on the ground ahead of Sven.