Chapter 57

Ares Simon's POV:

It was a few days into our planning against Eric Peterson when Grandpa insisted on meeting me, emphasizing the matter was important.

"Grandpa, if your idea of 'important matter' involves my marriage, then I'm afraid this conversation ends right here," I stated dryly, nonchalantly loosening my tie. "I've made up my mind. This is a personal decision, and I'm not ready for marriage, nor am I interested in expanding the business," I declared firmly, my voice carrying a finality that echoed through the room.

Grandpa, settled in his office chair in the study room, locking cold eyes with me, seated across from him. The room exuded the faint scent of leather, mingling with the subtle notes of paper and lingering traces of cigar smoke.

Today, this matter would be settled once and for all. I refused to entangle myself with the Silvas merely for the expansion of the Knight Group; I was more than capable of achieving success on my own terms.

"Okay!" Grandpa responded unexpectedly, catching me off guard.

My eyebrows shot up, suspicion worming its way through me. I leaned casually against the chair rest, folding my shirt sleeves up to my elbows as I settled into a more comfortable position.

"That's it?" I inquired calmly, my right ankle resting on my left knee, elbow propped on the armrest.

There's no way Grandpa was conceding so easily after years of pestering me about marriage.

"Yeah! If you don't want to marry Silva's granddaughter, then don't..." he affirmed, nodding while reaching for a cigar. Jonathan, standing across from us, stepped forward to light Grandpa's cigar.

My eyebrows furrowed as I considered my plan involving the Silva Group. If Grandpa was finally giving up the marriage pursuit, I'd have to reconsider causing any further disruptions for them.

"I have another list of girls who you can marry!" Grandpa stated matter-of-factly, pulling out a stack of pictures from the drawer.

There, I knew it!

"Grandpa! I've made it clear I don't want to marry," I retorted with a chill in my tone. "Whether it's Silva's granddaughter or any other heiress, I am not marrying any of them. End of discussion." Rising abruptly, my chair emitted a loud scrape as it shifted backward. I turned away without sparing a glance on the multitude of photos scattered on the table, angrily grabbing my coat.

"£20 million pounds..." My strides came to an abrupt halt at Grandpa's next words, my heart pounding in my chest. "You used the company's rarest stock of Red Diamonds and Jadeite Jade to craft a customized necklace for someone, and you say you're not ready for marriage?" His sarcastic voice made me clench my jaw, and I shot a sharp look at Jonathan, who responded with an awkward smile, avoiding eye contact.

Traitor! I thought he was on my side...

"I thought we had a deal, grandpa. You'd stop keeping tabs on me, and—" I drawled, tossing my coat aside in frustration, turning back to Grandpa, fuming with rage. However, my words trailed off as I glanced at the picture of a girl he was showing.

My mind momentarily went blank, drawn into the familiar amber hues staring back at me from the picture.

I blinked, refocusing my eyes on Grandpa.

What was I saying again?

"Sit," Grandpa ordered, breaking through my distracted thoughts. I quietly resumed my seat without uttering a word. "You gifted it to her, didn't you?" he inquired.