Chapter 32

Past - 15

Elysia's POV:

"Aubrey! I just came here to help you out with your studies. Your cousin doesn't need to disrespect me like that. I'm not rich like you all, I know! But it doesn't mean that people who don't have a lot of money aren't humans. It doesn't give her a right to belittle anyone." I stated in a quiet voice.

"I know, Ely, I'm really, really sorry for what Sammy said. Please, forgive me?" She held my hands with pleading eyes.

I tried to walk away, but she stopped me again, her eyes welled up, ashamed of her cousin's words.

"Please, don't be mad at me," Aubrey hugged me, tears rolling down her cheeks. My jaw clenched, not allowing my own tears to roll down my cheeks.

A sigh escaped my lips, hearing her crying like that. Stretching my arms, I hugged her back. It wasn't her fault that her cousin said those things. Although her words hurt a lot, I couldn't push Aubrey away for someone else's mistakes. She was my friend.

"Don't cry anymore, I'm not mad at you," I wiped her tears with my sleeves.

"Really?" She sniffled.

"Hm," I responded, giving her a small smile.

"You won't come in?" She asked again.

"No! I need to go home. See you at school tomorrow," I reassured her before I left her house.

I didn't go home directly; instead, I went to the park in our neighborhood and sat on one of the benches.

Recalling everything that happened in Aubrey's house, my shoulders slumped, "What's wrong with my uniform?" I mumbled. "It's not expensive, but it's clean." I stroked the fabric of my sleeves, recalling how they ignored me like I didn't exist. So, it wasn't just my thinking, it really was intentional. They didn't like me at all. Facing heavenward, I blinked numerous times, gulping back the tears.

"You are the only person who determines your worth, no one else!" Dr. Smith's words echoed inside my head.

Nodding, I reminded myself firmly. "I'm not gonna cry at such baby things, I won't!" I wiped my eyes, sorted my thoughts out, and resumed my usual expressions before going home.

*************

The next day, I baked a small chocolate cake for Sven and brought it to school as an apology. However, I was surprised to find out that he was absent once again.

This time, I was genuinely concerned. Why wasn't he coming to school? Was he really that upset with me?

I let out a long sigh, running a hand through my hair in frustration. Just then, Esme entered the classroom with her bag slung over one shoulder. Her mere presence had a noticeable effect on everyone in the classroom. Conversations hushed into whispers, and the students seemed uneasy around her. I couldn't quite understand why everyone was so intimidated by her. I had seen her for months and hadn't witnessed anything that justified this fear. But she had an intimidating aura about her without even trying.

Esme was the quietest person I had ever encountered. She neither initiated conversations nor responded to anyone's attempts to talk to her, as if no one exists for her. Her sole purpose seemed to be attending school and leaving.

I waved at her when she took her seat, though I expected no response as usual. To my surprise, she spoke.

"Are you never bored?" Her voice was devoid of emotion, and I was taken aback, my eyes wide and my lips slightly parted.

Esme Indira Vasquez was actually talking to me?

After months of ignoring my greetings, she had finally responded.