Chapter 25

Past - 8

Third Party's POV:

"Where is dad, mom?" Elysia inquired as she placed ice cream in the freezer. Mrs. Lawson guided Sven towards the sitting area.

"He went to pick up some ingredients," Mrs. Lawson replied and set a mug of coffee and a slice of cake in front of Sven, her smile radiating warmth. "Make yourself at home," she added gently to Sven.

"Go change, Ely, I'll warm up lunch for you," she directed her daughter, who seemed hesitant to leave, casting Sven a suspicious glance before complying. Elysia grabbed her bag and exited.

Sven reached for the cake, digging into it with enthusiasm as it delightfully melted in his mouth. His gaze wandered around the small bakery owned by the Lawsons, taking in the cozy atmosphere. A scent of fresh baked cookies and cakes surrounded the whole bakery. It also had a small sitting area attached along with a bookshelf, giving it a peaceful café environment.

It seemed to reflect Elysia Lawson perfectly.

Sven allowed a knowing smile to play on his lips, convinced that Elysia had likely played a role in decorating this space. It matched her personality quite well.

"Do you like the cake?" Mrs. Lawson asked Sven as she observed him savoring the cake. Sven refocused his attention on her, sitting upright and nodding appreciatively.

"It's very delicious. Thank you," he replied with an honest smile.

"You're very welcome," Mrs. Lawson returned the smile and then motioned towards the direction Elysia had gone.

"Are you friends with our daughter?" She inquired, her enthusiasm palpable. Sven raised an eyebrow, uncertain about how to respond.

He couldn't admit that they didn't know each other well when he had just dropped her off. Nor could he reveal that he was actually just messing with their daughter because she seemed like a frightened kitten all the time which really made him curious.

"...Yes, we're friends," he answered, nodding and flashing a charming smile.

Mrs. Lawson's eyes sparkled, and she beamed with happiness. "Does our Ely talk with her classmates? Is she making friends there? Are people treating her kindly?" She looked at Sven with wide, expectant eyes.

Sven's smile wavered slightly before he nodded. "Yes, of course."

But why wouldn't she talk to her friends? Although he hadn't seen her interact much, but that could be because she was a new student. Every time he had encountered her, she had been alone.

Coincidence, perhaps?

And why wouldn't people treat her nicely?

Mrs. Lawson's questions left Sven perplexed, but he maintained his composure. With countless flings in his past, he had mastered the art of concealing his true emotions.

"That's a relief. We were so worried that she would never open up to people again," Mrs. Lawson expressed with relief, her eyes gleaming with happiness as she discreetly wiped a tear from the corner of her eye.

Sven's brows furrowed as he observed the various emotions on Mrs. Lawson's face. Her words left him even more puzzled.

"What ha—" he began to ask, but before he could finish his question, they heard approaching footsteps, and Elysia entered. She was dressed casually in a loose pink colored shirt and grey long trousers, her long damp hair cascaded down her shoulders. Her large, innocent amber eyes shot him a "get up and leave" look.

For a brief moment, Sven found himself captivated by her beautiful, delicate features, and his mind went momentarily blank, causing him to forget what he had been about to ask.