Chapter 66

Elysia's POV:

As the article loaded on my phone screen, my curiosity piqued, and I began reading.

"In a surprising turn of events, the share values of Anderson Companies have witnessed significant and noteworthy fluctuations in recent trading sessions. Analysts are puzzled by the sudden and sharp decline, with the graph now sloping down at an artificial pace.

Amidst the tumultuous market activity, shareholders have been observed selling their shares en masse, further exacerbating the downward trend. Various sources report a growing sentiment of unease, with investors contemplating withdrawing their investments from the group.

While the reasons behind this abrupt downturn remain ambiguous, speculation abounds. Is this simply a temporary setback for the group, or has Anderson Companies inadvertently offended an anonymous big shot in the industry?"

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. What was happening with Anderson Companies? And who was this anonymous big shot?

Scrolling down, I checked the attached links of stock prices for Anderson Companies. The fluctuations were striking, even to someone like me who had learned a thing or two as an assistant. Glancing at the dates on the chart, I realized the volatility had begun two weeks ago. Number of articles were published on the downfall that Anderson Companies was facing. According to the date, it started the day I was hospitalized, then I got busy with mom, I couldn't have known about all this until now.

I started analyzing the the graph which depicted sharp fluctuations that seemed unnatural, almost as if someone were toying with the fate of Anderson Companies. It felt like a cruel game—raising hopes with soaring share prices one moment, then dashing them with plummeting values the next. Whoever was behind this was pretty much making it obvious, without bothering to hide.

Could this be what Ronald wanted to discuss with Ares?

Was this why Aubrey was here today? To ask for Ares' help?

But most importantly, would he help her if she asked? Would he be willing to clash with the person, if there is any behind this?

"Did you like the surprise?" Ares' sudden voice startled me, abruptly disrupting my thoughts, causing me to gasp and jolt slightly.

Panicked, I hurriedly exited the article on my phone and spun around to face him. He was leaning against the doorframe of my office room, arms crossed over his chest and his feet casually crossed, watching me with evident curiosity.

"H-how long have you been there?" I stammered nervously, biting the inside of my cheek and discreetly holding my phone behind my back.

"Long enough to see you lost in your phone," he replied, causing my heart to skip a beat. "I guess I know what's there." He added calmly, but I detected a subtle gulp, betraying his calm facade.

Just now, he almost seemed... nervous?

My eyes widened as I processed his words. How could he possibly know I was reading about Anderson Companies?

"I...Um," I began, but another message pinged on my phone, interrupting me.

Instinctively, I glanced at the screen, freezing in disbelief. My eyebrows furrowed, and my lips parted in shock. Another notification from the bank:

"Notification: A deposit of £1,000,000 has been credited to your account. Please review your account balance and contact us if you have any questions. Thank you for banking with us."

But I hadn't opened a bank account or deposited any money. What was going on?

All my thoughts about Aubrey and Anderson Companies were pushed aside as my attention became completely focused on the message.