Chapter 5

Elysia's POV:

I sat on the bench, my gaze fixed on the harmonious surroundings of the park. Happy families strolled by, and the laughter of children filled the air, warming my cold and empty heart. Visiting parks and watching people happy was my solace; a way to hide from my demons.

It had been three days since my encounter with Ares in his room. I hadn't planned to return to the office, but I had no choice. I recalled Maron's words when he followed me out.

"Please, don't take his words to heart. He's going through a rough time. The girl he liked got back with her ex-husband, so he's on edge. He doesn't have any personal grudge against you. Just give him some time; he'll come around." He said.

He kept trying to convince me, reminding me of the contract terms, conditions and penalty, etc. He didn't let me walk out of the office until he had my consent for staying.

I gazed up at the sky as the memories flooded my mind. So, Ares had also fallen in love, but his love was unrequited, just like mine.

I placed a hand on my chest, feeling a familiar ache arose within it. For years, I kept reminding myself that kindness isn't love.

When Ares had helped me, it was his kindness, not love. But my foolish heart, stubborn as ever, had held onto him.

I should be happy that he also fell for someone who couldn't be his, just like me, but I didn't. Instead, I felt hurt and empathetic towards his pain.

I didn't want him to experience what I had endured for the past nineteen years. I didn't want him to go through the same pain as me.

Unrequited love – comes with its own burdens and consequences.

There comes a point where you get used to it, seeing them happy with someone that is not you, loving someone that is not you, and then comes a time when you don't even need them to be physically present to love them. They become a part of you, regardless of their presence.

That's when people say, "You don't need them near you to love them, as long as they exist."

My heart had crossed that stage long ago. It had learned to love Ares silently, even without his presence and had found its comfort in it. It doesn't ask for more, except that he stays safe and happy, wherever he is.

But now that he is near, and hearing his words so distant, as if I didn't matter at all, it stabs my heart. I'm hurt; I'm angry and I wanted to let him know that he is not the only one hurting. Each of us carries our burdens, and the least he could do is to not add up to the struggles. But, I don't even know how to show my anger; avoiding him seems like my only option. I've never learned to express my anger, as it always led to serious consequences.

"Ronny, come back!" A childish laughter sounded just a few meters away from me. I glanced towards the children playing with a friendly golden retriever, who was holding the ball in its mouth.

Suddenly, a kid stumbled and fell on the ground. In an instant, the golden retriever surrounded him worriedly and started nudging him, gently stroking its head against the boy's head, trying to soothe him and provide comfort. Watching the heartwarming scene unfolding in front of my eyes, a flash of memory passed by me, reminding me of my Nova.

Twenty-three Years Ago...

I gingerly sat down with a small first aid box, cautiously glancing at the back door of the house.

I had sneaked this box from Mother's drawer while she was sleeping. I hoped she wouldn't wake up and discover my secret. I had seen Papa clean wounds and wrap bandages when Mother cut her hand, so I decided to do the same for myself.