Chapter 21

Past - 4

Elysia's POV:

No!

Please, no!

Why? How?

How could he be here?!

Out of all the people in this school, Ares had to be the one to see me like this. I secretly opened one eye and peeked through the strands of hair that covered my face just to see his shoes a step away from me.

"Did she faint?" Ares' confused voice barely reached my ears as he mumbled under his breath and stepped a little closer when I didn't respond.

My heart raced, and a wave of panic washed over me. In lightning speed, my body moved on its own, and I swiftly stood up, facing down while using my hair as a flimsy shield to hide my face.

Ares, holding a pile of files in his hands, gazed at me with raised eyebrows, clearly puzzled. "Are you okay?" he asked, tilting his head slightly in an attempt to get a better look at my face. I instinctively lowered my head even further, my hair now almost covering my entire face. I nodded frantically, desperate to convey that I was alright and intended to flee.

But before I could make my escape, I sensed another presence beside me. I turned my head slightly and saw Sven descending the stairs, his laughter ringing through the air. However, he abruptly stopped when he took a closer look at Ares. His eyebrows shot up, and his mouth hung open as he pointed at Ares and then back at me, as realization dawned upon him.

"He... isn't he the—" he began to say, but before he could finish, I reacted in a state of panic, stomping on his foot with all my might.

"Ow! Ow!" Sven yelped in pain, hopping on one foot and clutching his injured one. He glared at me, wide-eyed and stunned.

"Oh! Ares, you're here," just then, our attention shifted as we heard a voice from behind, putting an end to the whole embarrassing incident that happened just now. We turned towards it and saw Mr. Mitchell approaching us but looking at Ares only.

"Afternoon, sir! These are the reports for the past cross-grade collaboration projects. Mrs. Brown asked me to deliver them to your office," Ares greeted Mr. Mitchell, his voice steady, explaining his purpose.

"Ah, right! I requested those files from Mrs. Brown. You can place them on my desk. I need to visit the principal," Mr. Mitchell instructed. Ares nodded in acknowledgment and continued to listen attentively as Mr. Mitchell provided further directions.

During their conversation, I sensed Sven moving beside me. He leaned in closer and whispered in my ear, his warm breath sending cold shivers down my spine. "You're going to pay for injuring my foot, clumsy head." I faced him anxiously when he stood straight and extended his large hand dangerously close to me. I froze, my eyes widening, fearing his next move, when he unexpectedly flicked my nose gently and dashed away.

My mouth hung open in shock as I stared at his retreating figure. He turned the corner and shot me a mischievous smirk, making that eerie "I'll be watching you" gesture again before vanishing from sight.

Wait!

I had to make my escape as well.

My mind had been so consumed with the incident just now and Sven that I'd completely forgotten about my own escape. Without further delay, I discreetly stepped back while Mr. Mitchell and Ares were still engrossed in their conversation about some upcoming academic competition.

Just one step away from exiting the main building, I turned my head instinctively and cast a quick glance back in Ares' direction out of habit. My heart leaped into my throat when I found him staring directly at me, his gaze unwavering even as Mr. Mitchell continued to speak.