Chapter 63

Elysia's POV:

Taking a few moments to steady my nerves, I finally made my way back to my mom's hospital room. As I entered, I noticed Esme already seated on the couch, her expression calm and stoic as she stared off into the distance. For now, I pushed aside thoughts of Ares and the conversation we had earlier, focusing instead on being there for Esme.

"Where's Sven?" I asked softly as I settled into the seat beside her, my gaze briefly flickering to my mother, still asleep in the hospital bed.

Esme sighed, crossing her arms over her chest. "No idea," she replied, her tone was as usual cold as always but I could sense worry in her voice. "He said he had something important to take care of and would be back once it's done."

I nodded understandingly, but couldn't shake the feeling that Sven was keeping something from us, we both can tell. There's something he isn't telling us, we just need to figure out what's going on in his mind.

"Ely..." Esme's hesitant voice brought me back from my thoughts. Her eyes remained fixed on mom, but I could see the unease in her distant gaze, as if deep in thoughts. I knew her enough to know that it must be something very important for her to hesitant. "I think I may need to lea—"

Before she could finish her sentence, the door to the hospital room creaked open, and we both turned to see Ares entering. My heart skipped a beat as our eyes met, memories of our earlier conversation replayed in my head. I quickly looked away, unable to withstand the intensity of his gaze.

Ares approached us silently, nodding in greeting to Esme, who responded with a subtle nod of her own. His voice was low as he addressed me, his gaze again settled on me. "I'm leaving for the office," he said, his words tinged with a hint of reluctancy. "There's an important meeting with a client. Do you want me to drop you home, or will you stay with your mom?"

I glanced at Esme, who quietly nodded her head, her expression unreadable. Turning my gaze back to Ares, I noticed his calm demeanor; although his face was stoic as always, but his gaze, his voice, his aura, everything about him looked much more calmer than I saw earlier in the morning. He seemed to be in a pretty good mood after his talk with Dr. Finn.

"I'll stay with mom," I stated, rising from the couch with a lightness I didn't feel. "Let me walk you back to the car," I offered, inwardly patting myself for saying a sentence to him without stuttering and attempting to mask the flutter of nerves dancing in my stomach at just even the thought of being alone with him again.

Ares nodded silently, his movements fluid as he turned to leave. But as he walked away, I noticed a faint smile playing at the corners of his lips, almost like a ghostly smirk. My heart raced at the sight, my nerves on edge as I followed him to the parking lot, my gaze fixed on the ground to avoid tripping over my own feet, and my fingers fidgeting with my clothes nervously at my sides.

There was something important I needed to discuss with him, something that weighed heavily on my mind. I hoped it wouldn't jeopardize the fragile bond that had just started to form after our marriage.

A crisp autumn breeze greeted us as we reached the parking lot. I glanced around instinctively, finding the area deserted, save for the whispering leaves and the distant hum of traffic. The silence enveloped us, punctuated only by the crisp chill in the air. Approaching Ares' car silently, my steps faltered as he turned to face me. I discreetly swallowed, trying to conceal the effect he had on me as he enveloped my cold hands in his large, warm ones. Looking up at him in surprise, I felt a rush of warmth flood through me, accompanied by electric sparks that danced along my skin at his touch.

"Elysia, there's something I need to discuss with you," Ares began, his usually stoic voice softened. "There are things I want to share... about myself, about you, and about us."